Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When could a #9's digging in ruck become hands in?

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default When could a #9's digging in ruck become hands in?

I know promoting quick ball and continuity of play is encouraged.
    I feel good when I see a 9 reach a foot into a ruck/scrum and roll the ball back to a better spot to the get pass off. I feel uneasy (whistle moving to lips) when I see them use their hand to roll it back to that better passing spot.
    I'm even more uneasy when I see the hand rolling it back when they're loosing the contest / moving backwards.
    How do you mange a 9's borrowing/ reaching in?
    What I'd like to see is a clean pick up if they put their hands on it. But not sure if that's how every one else (coaches, last week's ref, other ref's, fans, scrum halves...)
    Last edited by Huck2Spit; 1 Week Ago at 05:10.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: When could a #9's digging in ruck become hands in?

On the TV we dont any longer see the 9 rolling / repositioning with their hands. It's been stamped out. They use their feet.
    I copy that approach..

If they need to dig they can dig, but if the ball is available and they put their hands on it, it must be to use it, not to roll it around
    Last edited by crossref; 1 Week Ago at 07:10.

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If they're losing the contest and look like they're going for a quick dig, I call "no hands". If they're having to dig because someone's not rolling away, there's already an issue. On the other hand, if they're trapping the tackler who's struggling hard to get away, in the hope of milking a penalty, I'm not so keen to reward it.

It also depends on the level. Promoting a fair and enjoyable game is more important than showing that you've memorised the laws and clarifications, and if the players aren't pushing the boundaries of human ability in the framework of the rules, or are still learning, or are over 50 and hungover to a man, coaching and leniency can lead to a better match.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    On the TV we dont any longer see the 9 rolling / repositioning with their hands. It's been stamped out. They use their feet.

How does the 9 using his feet as you describe remain onside?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    How does the 9 using his feet as you describe remain onside?
    Because he has part of one foot in front of the back of the ball, you mean ?
    Is that material ?

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, using TV as the standard--I'm surprised by that response crossref.

what brought this to mind was when doing a early season women's university level match. Theirs and my first game this fall. There was a 5m scrum awarded to red (defending) from a green KO near goal line. Red wins the hook and ball is under red #8. As red 9 looks for receiver in position for clearing kick, green get their drive going. Red is moving backwards when red 9 hand rolls the ball back to herself into in goal and touches down.
    First thought (was where was the green 9 diving for the ball in goal to score) then carried back and grounded so 5m scrum attacking, which is what I went with in the moment....green won that scrum #8 picked and scored...
    Then after wards when reviewing the day thought PK hands in, or even PT since green had a very probable shot of getting a push over try.
    9's expect some license to get the ball and keep playing moving, but also #9 can take license with everything and if you give them an inch...
    Last edited by Huck2Spit; 1 Week Ago at 21:10.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hi huck .
    In the case of 5 meter scrum above .
    By red 9 rolling the ball back , i would of deemed this as ball removed from scrum & back in open play .

I would deem what you did next was correct
    Taken back in goal by deffender , touched down = attacking scrum ..

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Huck2Spit View Post
    Ok, using TV as the standard--I'm surprised by that response crossref.

what brought this to mind was when doing a early season women's university level match. Theirs and my first game this fall. There was a 5m scrum awarded to red (defending) from a green KO near goal line. Red wins the hook and ball is under red #8. As red 9 looks for receiver in position for clearing kick, green get their drive going. Red is moving backwards when red 9 hand rolls the ball back to herself into in goal and touches down.
    First thought (was where was the green 9 diving for the ball in goal to score) then carried back and grounded so 5m scrum attacking, which is what I went with in the moment....green won that scrum #8 picked and scored...
    Then after wards when reviewing the day thought PK hands in, or even PT since green had a very probable shot of getting a push over try.
    9's expect some license to get the ball and keep playing moving, but also #9 can take license with everything and if you give them an inch...
    If she rolled it back and grounded it all in one movement I don't think that's a problem, that's playing it

If she rolled the ball to position and then stood up and looked around, I'd tell her to use it.
    Then afterwards I'd say : don't use your hands to roll the ball around -- digging is OK, but if the ball is available to play and you put your hands on it, it should only be to use it.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Because he has part of one foot in front of the back of the ball, you mean ?
    Is that material ?
    I mean the 9 has one foot in front of hindmost foot. I guess if that foot remains off the ground he is okay. Offside line is HMF

As to material, i gotta think bout it. Let me think.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    I mean the 9 has one foot in front of hindmost foot. I guess if that foot remains off the ground he is okay. Offside line is HMF

As to material, i gotta think bout it. Let me think.
    19.29 Once play in the scrum begins, the scrum-half of the team in possession has at least one foot level with or behind the ball.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Thread Information