Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Advantage after a PT offence

A situation I didn't see, but was told about and thought quite interesting:

Black make a break and about 5m from the goal line the BC commits the fullback and passes to a support player. The support player is pulled back early (and the infringing player was YC'd) so fails to catch the ball, but it is collected by a second support player who scores.

The bloke telling me this was incensed that it wasn't a PT (it was close to the end of the game and black were 5 points down).

So the question is: in principle, should it have been? Or was the referee right to play advantage and let the player score. The try was close to the touch line, so the PT was clearly a favourable outcome and had the obstructed player caught the ball he would have likely scored in a similar position.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Madrefs
    Grade
    Adviser
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advantage after a PT offence

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    A situation I didn't see, but was told about and thought quite interesting:

Black make a break and about 5m from the goal line the BC commits the fullback and passes to a support player. The support player is pulled back early (and the infringing player was YC'd) so fails to catch the ball, but it is collected by a second support player who scores.

The bloke telling me this was incensed that it wasn't a PT (it was close to the end of the game and black were 5 points down).

So the question is: in principle, should it have been? Or was the referee right to play advantage and let the player score. The try was close to the touch line, so the PT was clearly a favourable outcome and had the obstructed player caught the ball he would have likely scored in a similar position.
    It would only be a penalty try if the try would have been scored in a more advantageous position but for the foul play. If by similar position, you mean similar to where the try was actually scored, then the ref made the correct decision.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So black were disadvantaged by the ref playing advantage.

Arguably the ref should have blown his whistle immediately for the foul play and awarded a PT, before black could cloud the issue by scoring anyway.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by colesy View Post
    It would only be a penalty try if the try would have been scored in a more advantageous position but for the foul play. If by similar position, you mean similar to where the try was actually scored, then the ref made the correct decision.
    That's why I mentioned the similar position.

But as crossref points out, the crux of the issue black were disadvantaged by the referee playing advantage. Likewise black would have benefited by knocking on.

I believe it all happened quickly enough that the ref didn't have chance to blow up before the try was scored, but I guess that's the other issue: a PT is now the most valuable score (even if you don't consider that it was before) so should advantage ever apply?
    Last edited by DocY; 10-10-18 at 16:10.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Accepting that it happened very quickly

A perfect performance would be that when black went over to score the ref would have paused for thought (think quick, blow slow) and then awarded a PT

That would be a very good referee , I think, to work that out clearly in real time, on the pitch, in that last minute scenario
    Last edited by crossref; 10-10-18 at 16:10.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Reminds me of a similar example: https://youtu.be/8GJ_T59lrbg?t=141

If he doesn't get the ball down the conversion is in front of the posts (before the law changed), if he does, it's from the touchline!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    London West
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I had a similar issue happen on the weekend. Red were chasing a kick into the 22, last blue player was getting nowhere and clearly tripped red taking him out the game. Another red player collects and they score in the corner.
    I blew up immediately after the trip before the ball was gathered by red, my initial reaction was that I'd butchered their try scoring advantage even though I had decided YC & Pen Try.
    What to you prioritise the process or the enjoyment for the player who could have scored they give it as cross ref suggests.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You go back to Law.

What are the circumstances in which a PT can be awarded? Broadly, two:
    1. Denial of a try by foul play.
    2. Try being scored in a less advantageous than it would otherwise be scored by an act of foul play.

In the OP, the try is scored where it would otherwise have been scored. It doesn't fit the definition of the Law.

As for the advantage question: in the OP, play continued and the try was scored where it would otherwise have been scored. If you don't let play continue, then the reason for the try not being scored isn't the act of foul play, it's because of you
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think you go back to Law 7 , Advantage .

When the foul play occurs black is on a PT .
    There is no possibility to gain advantage , so advantage should not be played.

It happened so quick that advantage was played by default.. but no advantage was gained (black did not get themselves to a position that was either tactically or territorially better than having the PK and therefore the PT

So no advantage gained
    PT

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    When the foul play occurs black is on a PT .
    There is no possibility to gain advantage , so advantage should not be played.
    Try running that past the try scorer.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information