Thread: European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR) 2018 Leinster v Wasps - Round 1

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR) 2018 Leinster v Wasps - Round 1

I can't see that, but if true , that seems like an even poorer reason to have them on the pitch

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR) 2018 Leinster v Wasps - Round 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    It serves no entertainment purpose, maybe. I would be surprised if they didn't use it in performance reviews and assessments.
    Am I the only one who likes to see footage from the Ref Cam?

OK, you wouldn't use it a lot, but if the powers that be cherry pick the best bits (eg scrums, rucks, mauls and LO's) they give a perspective that 99.99% of the people watching would just never see.
    Last edited by Taff; 14-10-18 at 17:10.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I like it for the comedy footage after the fact, but appreciate that’s not it’s primary purpose, generally it’s not broadcast quality - any good examples where it’s helped the TMO?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Am I the only one who likes to see footage from the Ref Cam?

OK, you wouldn't use it a lot, but if the powers that be cherry pick the best bits (eg scrums, rucks, mauls and LO's) they give a perspective that 99.99% of the people watching would just never see.
    I think safety outweighs cherry picking the best 20 seconds fo an 89 minute game.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    West Yorkshire
    Grade
    Ref Advisor/Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone know if the citing officer has chipped in with a charge of making physical contact with a match official? It won’t be the first time a player has ran into a ref and been given a ban!

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    I think safety outweighs cherry picking the best 20 seconds fo an 89 minute game.
    But is there a safety issue though? RP was flattened by a knock in the back - not the Ref Cam.

It happened to me once; the player who smashed into me claimed innocence, and I'm sure that I'd penalised him a few minutes before was a total coincidence. A couple of spectators told me after that it looked deliberate from the touchline.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It seemed to me RP fell flat on to his stomach and didn't break his fall .. was he momentarily knocked out ?
    In that situation the camera could break a rib.

In general a largish, hard object has no business on a rugby field , but I guess TPTB will wait until there is an actual injury , and then they'll take them away

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I understand from my man on the inside (Cyril, that is) that M Poite. He's fine, and will be refereeing in Leicester next weekend.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    I like it for the comedy footage after the fact, but appreciate that’s not it’s primary purpose, generally it’s not broadcast quality - any good examples where it’s helped the TMO?
    If people are interested in comedy, I wore something similar for a match a year or so ago. The entire match is up on youtube, if people want to see how bad I am with the whistle

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    But is there a safety issue though? RP was flattened by a knock in the back - not the Ref Cam.

It happened to me once; the player who smashed into me claimed innocence, and I'm sure that I'd penalised him a few minutes before was a total coincidence. A couple of spectators told me after that it looked deliberate from the touchline.
    It matters not where you are hit by the player BUT the landing on the floor or bumping into another player wit hthe camera being between the body and the other person / floor could cause an injury eg cracking a rib. Why do you think Paul Adams emailed us a while back telling us not to use them?

Thread Information