Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Maul - BC Knees Go to Ground

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Why be wrong in law by pretending it is not a maul?
    Ask Wayne Barnes!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

And there is also

11: Players must not:

a: Intentionally collapse a maul

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    what was so wierd is that the Blue team kept screaming for a penalty
    In which case I would have been happy to oblige...with a penalty against them for appealing.

If the ball carrier has his knees on the ground he has gone to ground. In the same way we deem a tackled player has gone to ground.
    If the ball isn't immediately made available then its a turnover scrum.

DURING A MAUL
    8. The ball-carrier in a maul may go to ground provided that player makes the ball available immediately. Sanction: Scrum.

ENDING A MAUL
    17. A maul ends unsuccessfully when:
    d. The ball-carrier goes to ground and the ball is not immediately available.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    Ask Wayne Barnes!
    Different "interpretation" (LAW BOOK) at elite level.

Probationer Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Having qualified 3 seasons ago I have found this site to be more than useful for my development as a referee. Rather than join the Society I decided to referee Youth games at both my local Club and School which has not only proved to be fantastically rewarding but has also given me the opportunity to be involved in high quality matches involving extremely talented young academy players and also others featuring those just starting out in our sport.

During that time, without doubt, the laws surrounding the ball carrier going to ground at the maul is the scenario I find myself explaining most often. I conservatively estimate that I have to explain this either to players or coaches in 1 in 3 of all the games I referee with very little distinction in frequency between age groups. I’ve heard “but Sir I’ve gone to ground so that’s a tackle” so often I am seriously considering including it in my PMB going forward. To me it seems to have taken over from “You’ve got to let him up” as the number one myth in rugby.

Still as every cloud has a silver lining, whilst I had begun to doubt my understanding of this area of the game, I was delighted to have it confirmed by earlier contributions and it prompted my first contribution on your excellent forum. Added to this, if I am questioned on it again this Saturday, this forum thread will be relatively easy to find as added gravitas.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    Having qualified 3 seasons ago I have found this site to be more than useful for my development as a referee. Rather than join the Society I decided to referee Youth games at both my local Club and School which has not only proved to be fantastically rewarding but has also given me the opportunity to be involved in high quality matches involving extremely talented young academy players and also others featuring those just starting out in our sport.

During that time, without doubt, the laws surrounding the ball carrier going to ground at the maul is the scenario I find myself explaining most often. I conservatively estimate that I have to explain this either to players or coaches in 1 in 3 of all the games I referee with very little distinction in frequency between age groups. I’ve heard “but Sir I’ve gone to ground so that’s a tackle” so often I am seriously considering including it in my PMB going forward. To me it seems to have taken over from “You’ve got to let him up” as the number one myth in rugby.

Still as every cloud has a silver lining, whilst I had begun to doubt my understanding of this area of the game, I was delighted to have it confirmed by earlier contributions and it prompted my first contribution on your excellent forum. Added to this, if I am questioned on it again this Saturday, this forum thread will be relatively easy to find as added gravitas.
    Welcome to the forum!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Jz558. I would recommend you joining a society even if at this stage what you want to do is referee club and school games. you will get support there and help and advice with refereeing et the level you wish or with progressing if that is what you want to do.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It's amazing how few players understand the law here and are surprised/angry/dissenting when the tackled player (well BC) in the middle of a maul finally gets his knees to the ground and you give a turnover as unplayable.

You'd hope occasionally players would read a law two, but clearly that's hoping for too much......

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps Law Clarification 2/2011 may be useful here.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    It's amazing how few players understand the law here and are surprised/angry/dissenting when the tackled player (well BC) in the middle of a maul finally gets his knees to the ground and you give a turnover as unplayable.

You'd hope occasionally players would read a law two, but clearly that's hoping for too much......

Might help if, as refs, we stop using terms like this for a player who has not been tackled!

Thread Information