Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Line out plan

I'm sure this is classed as leaving the line out early. A team I was playing for recently were working on line outs. Their plan was to set up as normal in a 5 man line out. So, positions 1, 2, 3,4 and 5 are in the line. Plan is for positions 1 and 2 to set out and 3 to come forward and take the ball at while traveling to the 5m, catching it before the 5m line and then arc his run steeple forward.

Would Positions 1 and not be deemed to have left the line out early??

I hope this makes sense lol.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Line out plan

It's fairly common for positions to shuffle / slide, if 1 and 2 took a step to the side slid back and then lined up again I think I'd be ok with that. Await others opinions though

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I may be mistaken I the intention. The impression I got was that as they stepped out the ball would be thrown to position 3 moving toward the ball. I don't think there would be enough time for them to slide back into the line.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Before the throw 1 and 2 can only leave the line to swap places
    After the throw 1 and 2 can only leave the line to receive the ball (peeling)

This is neither , so it's illegal

That said I expect you would get away with that move just fine. especially if you do it only once

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Consider AC's query another way...

1+2 step slightly towards their own DB line and shuffle back to positions 2 and 3 aligning once again while 3 comes forward to 1.
    But now the new 2 lifts the new 3 with the aid of 4.

Would that get pinged?

And...

3 runs around the outside of 1+2 slightly. 1+2 shuffle straight backwards to new 2+3. 3 becomes 1 and takes the ball as before.
    ping that?

And again...

as second situation but new 2 lifts new 3 with aid of 4. Ping that?

I could see a possible argument for pinging the "leavers" if they became the eventual ball receivers... just. But if the chinese firedrills start getting very complex is the ref really going to be able to follow who has run where and on which lines? And - just putting it out there - what if a "leaver" ends up with the ball because of an under throw or overthrow ie "accidentally". Or because an oppo got a finger tip to the bal lfirst and deflected it (alightly towards oppo own DBL etc so no knock on).

All in all I would suspect the answer is "play on" ;-)

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Life example: I've long used a simple Linout tactic designed for days when squads are depleted with jumpers whereby a single roving jumper moves around the outside of the lineout and rejoins in a gap to be lifted. it has never been pinged for said jumper "leaving" the lineout.

And aren't we back now to what constiuttes leaving a lineout anyway seeing as - IIRC the argument goes - there is a 10m x 10m box to move in, in effect?

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So 3 is changing his position but not in the conventional way.

May I ask a question? Why do teams try and over complicate the line out?
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 6 Days Ago at 13:11.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

3 is fine, imo, it's 1 and 2 you need to think about

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think that deoends on what the tactic is designed to do marc. If its to put a receiver where there is no defender, or to move the opposition around and leave a receiver unmarked then there's the answer.

I long time ago I coached a squad that had a previously designed (ie before my time) phenomenally complicated chinese fire drill that did nothing as it put the eventual receiver back where he had started, standing next to a opposition defender/jumper. I just never saw the point!

Personally I'm an advocate of some lineout movement with the aim of subterfuge to leave a jumper unmarked. I hate the standard "seven in a line, jump at #2 and #4" - its the easiest lineout to defend. Again an anecdote - several years ago I took a colts team that couldn't buy a lineout ball on their own throw. In one training session they went to winning over 80%. Then in the second game the head coach managed to take off the only jumper the squad had that day....

But Id have to agree with Marc's point about "over complicating" things. It only needs a simple plan to work.

Best lineout coaching moment? When a bunch of U16s I coach devised their own 4 man lineout, which included two options on the throw at each "set" ... and in training one of them that had devised it, when trying to defend it in practice said "you can't defend against this. its impossible". Job done.

didds

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Seems legal, shuffling positions is allowed. Watch out for the ball making it 5m, and the throw being straight - there's a tendency to chuck straight to the chest with a short ball.

Thread Information