Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Closed threads

Quote Originally Posted by menace;351889[B
    ]The added complexity is everyone has a different "offensive meter" - so youll be relying on mods meter as the moral compass to censor the site. [/B]Which is fine by me..but presumably guidance about what will be censored will need to be provided?
    That why I suggest a "quarantine" forum. One mod might feel something to be OTT but the rest feel it not to be. This way it would be moved whist a consensus view was arrived at.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Frankly, I don't see this as an issue. If RRF were to adopt a position that moderators cannot post in closed threads, then we would be a rarity among internet forums. Besides, all it would do is make the moderator have to go through the process of unlocking, posting and locking it again - what a waste of time that would be.

However, lets recognise what this is really about, the closing of the thread in the first place (and I think we all know which thread it was and why it was closed).

I chose to take no part in the staff discussion as regards to the thread that was closed, nonetheless, I agree with the reasons why it was done. Accusing referees at any level of personal bias is tantamount to an accusation of cheating, and it has no place on this forum.

If it is a low level referee you suspect, make a formal complaint to his Society/Association. If it is an elite level referee you want to accuse of cheating, there's a place of that.... its called Planet Rugby.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The original thread behind this discussion has been deleted.
    Since this post repeated items from the original thread it has also been deleted.

MOD
    Last edited by Phil E; 26-11-18 at 13:11.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Personal bias?
    Did you take the time to read the linked articles? All human beings are subject to subconscious bias.
    SS position that Wayne Barnes is above this is ridiculous. It is equivalent to saying WB is not subject to the same faults and failings we all have. Putting referees on a pedestal and saying they can do no wrong is not what Robbie Burns’ “Better officials, better game” is about.
    This is not what I'm saying, and you know it. You're building a strawman.

This forum is not the place to accuse officials of cheating... end of story! (yes, you can consider this an informal warning!)
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Double standards.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    The added complexity is everyone has a different "offensive meter" - so youll be relying on mods meter as the moral compass to censor the site. Which is fine by me..but presumably guidance about what will be censored will need to be provided?
    Yes, that's what mods are for (like referees).

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Frankly, I don't see this as an issue. If RRF were to adopt a position that moderators cannot post in closed threads, then we would be a rarity among internet forums. Besides, all it would do is make the moderator have to go through the process of unlocking, posting and locking it again - what a waste of time that would be.

However, lets recognise what this is really about, the closing of the thread in the first place (and I think we all know which thread it was and why it was closed).

I chose to take no part in the staff discussion as regards to the thread that was closed, nonetheless, I agree with the reasons why it was done. Accusing referees at any level of personal bias is tantamount to an accusation of cheating, and it has no place on this forum.

If it is a low level referee you suspect, make a formal complaint to his Society/Association. If it is an elite level referee you want to accuse of cheating, there's a place of that.... its called Planet Rugby.

Ian you are quite right there is more than one issue here

1 - Was it right to close the thread ?

I don't think so, I think plenty of people still has something to say (including two mods). But hey, y'all closed it, so fine we can live with that

2 - Having closed the thread is it OK for mods to carry on the discussion

Clearly not. If the thread needs closing then others mods shouldn't be still posting on it hours later

3 - Should the offensive post on the thread be deleted?

Yes, it should be.

4 - Should the mods say something about the post, the standards they apply, and the reasons for deleting/not deleting that post ?

That would be good
    Last edited by crossref; 25-11-18 at 11:11.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thread has been killed after Mod conversation.

It's one thing to pick a referee up on a technical issue or application of management standard (conversation re JP and Farrell's shoulder, for example) and another to accuse them of cheating. And for the sake of clarity: suggesting an Elite referee needs time on the psychiatrist's couch for how he deals with Irish and Welsh teams isn't a discussion about subconscious bias but an allegation of cheating.

As a rule of thumb: if it were to be offensive said to a referee in the clubhouse, or during a match, it has no place here.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well, it took a long time, but right decision in the end

Thread Information