Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    ARLB
    Grade
    New/Ungraded
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default High Tackle parameters for sanction

So, high tackle is a penalty. If there's velocity, force and it's more dangerous it can be YC / RD and it depends on the velocity, force, danger level and also the dynamics of the situation. For example, if Ball Carrier does a jink, head dip whatever - there's some common sense to this as well.

My question is, if a tackle is a seatbelt tackle, does it special treatment as in it is defo YC minimum in the same way a tip tackle would be?

In my view it wouldn't be. It is judge on force, velocity, tackle dynamics etc just like every other high tackle so could be penalty, YC or Red - depending on those parameters. There is no edict which states a seat belt must be a YC minimum?

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: High Tackle parameters for sanction

There isn't, and where they're penalised in the pro game it's usually a penalty only. I don't think I've seen a card for a seatbelt tackle, unless there was maybe a yellow in the first week or two of the new regime.

I can imagine that it could happen, where say a tackler swings around, the seatbelt arm rides up and catches the neck sideways or twists the head... but it's rarely that serious.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    ... I can imagine that it could happen, where say a tackler swings around, the seatbelt arm rides up and catches the neck sideways or twists the head... but it's rarely that serious.
    For what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree.

As Dangerous Tackles go, the "seatbelt tackle" must be the least dangerous of a bad lot surely.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Seatbelt that goes round the throat?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me, seat belt tackle over the shoulder with no contact with head or neck is penalty only. Contact with head or neck and you are starting to look at impact and use that to determine if a card (and the colour of the card) is necessary.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

this is what we are working to:

World Rugby High Tackle guidance 2017
    • World Rugby has provided new guidance regarding high tackles which are ‘reckless’ (minimum YC) and ‘accidental’ (minimum PK). Stricter enforcement is encouraged: ‘contact with the head’ should in most cases result in a PK minimum.
    • To decide an appropriate sanction (PK, YC or RC), referees should be considering:
    o Contact point – where did the tackle start/finish, was contact with hand, arm or shoulder?
    o Action – was the tackling action accidental, reckless or deliberate?
    o Degree of force – severity of impact, does the tackler ‘carry on’ through the tackle, e.g. around the neck?
    • Referees should use common sense – but player safety is paramount.

Nothing special about 'seat belt' tackles but they certainly fall into the High Tackle category.

The biggie for me is cleanouts above the shoulder line which will soon be above the nipple line. Very difficult to identify/manage IMO
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

9/10 Seat belt tackles I see are what I consider 'technical' high tackles, as in no contact with head or neck, probably no significant risk of injury, but technically high tackles, often a chase back into the 22 and penalty only for me.

I have had one that was about 5m and my immediate thought was penalty try (which I felt was harsh, yet, a penalty offence, beam him up and 100% a try), luckily momentum took the player over, try scored, and the extra 2 points would have made no difference so had a word with the tackler and moved on.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Most 'seatbelt' tackles are (generally) PK only IMHO.

However, if a team (Blue) have a high incidence of their players committing this type of tackle, you should consider escalating the sanction; after, of course, speaking with the Captain. Remember the Laws permit a YC for repeated infringements and this should be treated no differently.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I played in a game recently where a seat belt tackle was met with a Red Card. The tackler was shrugged off by the ball carrier before he was grounded. The ref blew for a PK, then called our player over, we thought that he was getting a YC but were gobsmacked when she produced a RC. He'd been on for about 10-15 mins (as a replacement at half time) and made 2 good tackles prior to this. Stunned with that call. lol

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    I played in a game recently where a seat belt tackle was met with a Red Card. The tackler was shrugged off by the ball carrier before he was grounded. The ref blew for a PK, then called our player over, we thought that he was getting a YC but were gobsmacked when she produced a RC. He'd been on for about 10-15 mins (as a replacement at half time) and made 2 good tackles prior to this. Stunned with that call. lol
    It will be interesting to see what the Disciplinary Committee think of it.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Thread Information