Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is spitting at an opposition player a red card ?

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Is spitting at an opposition player a red card ?

Vomiting in the tackle. That’s a Golden Oldies sorta thing. Rarely deliberate, hardly an act of foul play.

Jerome Fillol banned for fourteen weeks for spitting at Peter Stringer

10.4(m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the enclosure.

Under the IRB Sanctions for Foul Play, Law 10.4(m), spitting at a player, carries the following sanction entry points: Low End: 4 weeks; Mid Range: 7 weeks; Top End: 11+ to 52 weeks.

IRB’s Sanctions for spitting consider that 26 weeks, from the available range of 11 to 52 weeks, was the appropriate entry point.

I guess it depends how good his aim was. If you throw a punch and miss completely, that would surely be taken into consideration by an independent Disciplinary Hearing?
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is spitting at an opposition player a red card ?

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    Yep. Same incident really. Difficult to tell from the camera angle but if the ref saw the spit and saw it as deliberate then he should be off with a red . Right ?
    Bearing in mind it was the TMO that brought the foul play to the attention of the referee. Perhaps the TMO missed it as well and it is now down to the Citing Officer.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For what its worth, and after many viewings of the footage, I now do not believe there is strong enough evidence that Dave Ward did actually spit at the player.
    TV Cameras can tend to flatten the 3D view and make things look a lot closer. So it looks bad but he could reasonably just be spitting out just to the left of the player on the ground. Ah yes, you may ask, why take the risk !?

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Vomiting in the tackle. That’s a Golden Oldies sorta thing. Rarely deliberate, hardly an act of foul play.

Jerome Fillol banned for fourteen weeks for spitting at Peter Stringer

10.4(m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the enclosure.

Under the IRB Sanctions for Foul Play, Law 10.4(m), spitting at a player, carries the following sanction entry points: Low End: 4 weeks; Mid Range: 7 weeks; Top End: 11+ to 52 weeks.

IRB’s Sanctions for spitting consider that 26 weeks, from the available range of 11 to 52 weeks, was the appropriate entry point.

I guess it depends how good his aim was. If you throw a punch and miss completely, that would surely be taken into consideration by an independent Disciplinary Hearing?
    I might be missing things, but I published the current sanction range for spitting in my earlier post. Starts, Low End, at 4 weeks
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    I might be missing things, but I published the current sanction range for spitting in my earlier post. Starts, Low End, at 4 weeks
    No, your range is the correct current one. The Bath v Stade Français incident was in April 2013. It presumably refers to the range applied at the time.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What about a player Red carded for and offence who then spits at the opposition supporters? Obviously ony one red card but anything to be added at the hearing (disrepute and all that)? The spit was clearly captured on TV.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs down Re: Is spitting at an opposition player a red card ?

Club Statement: Dave Ward

I would also like to make clear that I did not spit on another player during the match yesterday. Regardless of what the television footage looks like I know that I have never spat on a player in all my career and will never do so.
    Shame the citing official has left it up to Quins to discipline their own player. The club have a vested interest in not handing out a lenghty ban.
    John Henry Newman

Thread Information