Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Red card or not

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    As per #14 with a link to relevant LoTG page. No fair challenge for the ball and red player lands on his head. So fits the 2015 memo for a straight Red.
    Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)
    Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on
    Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
    Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
    Red card – It’s not a fair challenge with no contest, whilst being a reckless or deliberate foul play action and the player lands in a dangerous position
    I disagree this makes this incident a RC. We have no contest and a player landing on his head, but were the actions of the non jumper reckless or deliberate foul play? I say no, jumper caused the contact, unfortunate landing, play on (well, blow for the injury but no offence)

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In my #15 I already said I agree with the idea it was not a Red Card. My point is that the referee has applied the guidelines given to him. Opinion supported by the fact Blue captain said post match he had no complaints about the red. If a defender is not going to contest possession of the ball, then they are better standing off and engage the player just after he lands.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 10:01.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well Lowe didn't contest it and got a two week ban instead of a month, still don't think he deserved it seeing as he didn't contest the ball or opposition player, just waiting on jumping late to become a tactic.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Red card or not

The fact that the citing was upheld, tells us that WR feel it was a Red Card offense :
    With the advent of the professional game in 1996, the Citing Commissioner role became established as an extension of the Match Official team, specifically tasked with addressing serious incidents of foul play that may have occurred in a match but were not addressed sufficiently at the time. Source: Worldrugby
    Otherwise they’d have dismissed the case. A ban suggests they felt the red Card was not sufficient to deter future foul play. It is an offense because he didn’t contest for the ball, but ran head long into the player in the air.
    Citing Commitees are notorious for reducing bans to way below the entry levels, for little reason other than the player turns up in a suit and tie and remains polite throughout the proceeding.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 18:01.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

http://fullmatchtv.com/index.php/rug...r-dec-29-2018/ About 46 minutes into this video here.
    It looks awful but both players have there eyes on the ball.
    Red choses to Jump, Blue doesn't.
    If red was not there Blue was positioned perfectly to catch the ball. Why is it his fault?
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Citing Commitees are notorious for reducing bans to way below the entry levels, for little reason other than the player turns up in a suit and tie and remains polite throughout the proceeding.
    Also known as following the mitigating factors laid out in Reg 17.
    Plead guilty?
    Clean record?
    Get a discount.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Red card or not

You tell me. Perhaps, because TV referees had a different brief ?
    Thing is Red was taken out in the air. #20 lists the match referee’s limited options.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 19:01.
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You tell me. Perhaps, because TV referees had a different brief ?
    Thing is Red was taken out in the air. #20 lists the match referee’s limited options.
    But as per my post 21, Red card requires "being reckless or deliberate foul play action....". What part of a player standing on the ground waiting to catch the ball with his focus on the ball reckless or dangerous?

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Blue sprints pretty fast toward the landing zone, getting there ever so slightly before the ball. He attempts not to overrun the spot, but his forward momentum carries him into the Red player in the air. At no point was he standing still, at best he had slowed his run. I suspect it is reckless, 1. Due to the fact he hasn’t looked to see where other arriving players are. 2. It was reasonable to expect other players were going to compete for the ball. You would have to look at the disciplinary committee report for the exact reason.
    John Henry Newman

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

and as said before this approach encourages attackers to kick the ball to where defenders are already standing as it effectively gives the attacking team a double whammy of catch the ball or win a card+PK. Becvause the catcher already under the ball has to effectoivel;y run away from where the ball was kicked.

didds

Thread Information