Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Worcester v Bath .. 97 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    The other big difference was that Bath kept on contesting ..I put that down to the new Law that uncontested scrums are 8v8 , which wasn't in place at the time of that Wales France game (I think)
    That is because Ian knew that Bath had FR cover. He repeatedly was overheard saying "...they have FR cover...". IIRC there is a section in Match Regulations that state if FR cover is available then the penalised team cannot go uncontested.

https://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docu...19_English.pdf
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    That is because Ian knew that Bath had FR cover. He repeatedly was overheard saying "...they have FR cover...". IIRC there is a section in Match Regulations that state if FR cover is available then the penalised team cannot go uncontested.

https://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docu...19_English.pdf
    Good on Bath and Blackadder for not dissembling -- it would have been very easy for one of the props to have developed a hamstring twinge while he was off the pitch (in fact - isn't that exactly what happened to a French prop in that other game?)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The Wales v France game was the first real incidence of this happening. The officials on the day did what they thought was right.

Since then there has been guidance to timekeepers, certainly at Premiership level. The timekeepers instructions are that they keep the game clock running and keep a separate timer going (his watch?) for yellow cards. It is this watch that he would have been stopping and starting when Tempo called time on and off. This would explain why the first YC came on after more than 10 minutes real time.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think he never actually came back on, even though about 15 mins elapsed time went past there was not ten mins of playing time (lots of stoppage took place)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I hear that the first YC still had 4mins left when the final whistle went. As people have said, once the clock went red it didn't stop again, even though we had numerous YC's (thought the scrum one was a harsh call by the TJ), subs back on, two injuries and conversation with TMO. So although there was "17 mins of overtime" there was actually only about 8 mins of playing time in the whole of the 17 mins.

I'm sure PhilE or KML 1 can confirm this, but there seems to be an issue when it comes to the game going "into the red". In the GP matches the clock counts down, so once it gets to 00:00 (end of game or HT) the time keeper has no way of stopping or starting the clock? The clock on the TV feed seems to be linked to the time keepers clock, but only up until 00:00 after that who knows what goes on?

I understand that the 5th at Worcester did have a clock on the YC's (i bet he didn't have 3 though!), but in that period at the end of the game all hell was breaking lose on the side lines with subs, YC's, questions about potential uncontested scrums (from both sides) so was it accurate, probably not.

I'm guessing a memo has gone out from HQ this week to time keepers and club 5th officials?
    Last edited by TheBFG; 1 Week Ago at 12:01.
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

They badly need to stop start the main clock . Can't see the point of keeping it running, and as it is no one in the stadium has any information on how long a YC has left to go.

Note this impacts any YC issued from 70 minutes onwards, so it's an everyday problem not an unusual one

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    They badly need to stop start the main clock . Can't see the point of keeping it running, and as it is no one in the stadium has any information on how long a YC has left to go.

Note this impacts any YC issued from 70 minutes onwards, so it's an everyday problem not an unusual one
    Agree (and at 30 mins onwards too)!
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Thread Information