Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Inadvertent stuff

1 Blue 11 gathers ball in touch , and the QTI is on. After considering it for a while he decides against the QTI and tosses the ball to his hooker , approaching, for a line out
    Q - has he inadvertently taken a QTI

2 Red are awarded a PK and red 9 holds the ball while the captain considers their options. Red 9 is standing right behind the mark and he absent mindedly drops the ball onto his foot , bouncing back into his hands
    Q has he inadvertently taken the PK

3 Green scrum. A moment after the set , Green 9 sneezes and drops the ball into the tunnel
    Q has he inadvertently put the ball in ?

I could go on ..
    Last edited by crossref; 08-01-19 at 08:01.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Inadvertent stuff

4. After sliding cross the goal-line the ball carrier, who cleverly had his hand under the ball, realises the defender has slacked of his chase. Ball carrier regains his feet to run towards the posts to get as near as possible to the posts before grounding the ball. The nearer the goal posts the better, he thinks. Match referee hadn’t slacked off his pace and being almost directly over (but slightly behind) the “try scorer, doesn’t notice there has been no grounding, he awards the try, on the spot. The would be try scorer is immediately swamped by his teams mates/ replacements who had been warming up ingoal. He inadvertently disgards the ball, which he not so cleverly hasn’t yet touched down. Try or no try?
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 08-01-19 at 08:01.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Match referee hadn’t slacked off his pace and being almost directly over (but slightly behind) the “try scorer, doesn’t notice there has been no grounding, he awards the try, on the spot. The would be try scorer is immediately swamped by his teams mates/ replacements who had been warming up ingoal. Try or no try?
    You've given the answer.

"He awards the try, on the spot."

In the sticks it is TRY end of story.

There are possible follow ups IF you have an AR or TMO. The referee refers it to the TMO or asks the AR. It would be most inequitable to award the try and then disallow it because the player played the whistle and did not groind it AFTER you have already said he has done so with your scenario and another:

A: Ref awards try 15 mtrs out, despite no actually grounding. The player "ignores" and "scores" under the posts. There are defenders who stop (play the whistle) who might have prevented the grounding had you not pingged.

You can't award the second try as it is reasonable to have doubt about the "real" try being scored. I'd stick with the original call. "I saw a grounding". There is no lie. You did "see" one, that is why you blew. If you don't review it you wil get the better out come (for me).

B: Ref awards try 15 mtrs out, despite no actually grounding. The player "ignores" and "scores" under the posts. There are NO defenders who might have prevented the grounding had you not pingged.

Apon a reveiw award the "correct try" (ie the second one) your error has not impacted on the defenders as they were not going to prevent the try had you not cocked up!

C: Ref awards try 15 mtrs out, despite no actually grounding. The player stops and celebrated YOUR awarding of the try.

Stay with the award anything else has impaced unfairly on the attacker who probably would have scored.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

5. player dots down in his own in-goal for a 22 drop out. Drop kicks ball to a team mate on 22 to take the restart
    Q - has he inadvertently taken the drop out? What if he had punted it to the team mate?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me the answer to 1,2,3 and 5 are all NO
    You can't do those things indadvertently

(4 is about doing something deceptive , deliberately, and should be in a different thread!)
    Last edited by crossref; 08-01-19 at 10:01.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    agreed
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

And agreed here to. I like to think we would all have some empathy and understanding that in none of these cases was there any intent to deceive the opposition so we would be reasonable and although you could technically argue yes to any of them, I think (hope!) you find it hard to find a referee, or even oppo players, who would disagree (although with the current level of moaning I’m bearing from players and coaches nothing would surprise me in that area)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    You can't do those things indadvertently

(4 is about doing something deceptive , deliberately, and should be in a different thread!)
    4 is not grounding the ball to enable him to go under the posts / nearer to them. The ref has made an error (albeit and understandable error)

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The inadvertently not grounding the ball is something I have seen on TV rugby. Makes one wonder what TMOs are there for. The deception is only up to the point where the defender gives up the chase.
    I agree that at grassroots level you cannot change the call.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 08-01-19 at 19:01.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Thread Information