None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Injury update

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Link to report

There is no material difference in the rate of incidence of injuries between artificial and grass pitches, although average inputs recovery time was slightly higher for injuries occurring on artificial turf versus grass.
    This surprises me.
    My experience has been that head and upper body contacts with artificial surfaces are more likely to lead to Concussion type injuries due to the rebound effect.

Also, anecdotally, players seem to dislike playing on artificial surfaces due to picking up more injuries.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It could well be that the bounciness exacerbates concussion - at low levels it makes no difference, but people are off longer with heavy concussion.

The extra injuries I associate are not ones that keep you off for weeks, so much as more grazes.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    This surprises me.
    My experience has been that head and upper body contacts with artificial surfaces are more likely to lead to Concussion type injuries due to the rebound effect.

Also, anecdotally, players seem to dislike playing on artificial surfaces due to picking up more injuries.
    The report refers to incidences of lower leg injuries with longer recovery times. The hypothesis is there is more grip from the artificial surface leading to more twisting in lower limbs. They are going to look into stud/boot combinations to try and gain more understanding of any causal factors and what stud configuration they would recommend as being best for an artificial surface.

Anecdotally myself I do not see more concussion but do see this lower limb problem, 2 serious looking knee injuries within 45 seconds of play in my last game on an artificial surface.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Injury update

I agree with Taff. Statistics need to be carefully interpreted
    Collision injuries affecting the tackler

The report also highlighted the number of injuries affecting the tackler as opposed to the ball carrier.

52% of all match injuries are associated with the tackle, with 28% of all injuries associated with tackling and 24% associated with being tackled - 2017-18 was the first season that the incidence of all injuries was greater for the tackler than the ball carrier.

Concussion accounted for 18% of all injuries to the ball carrier and 37% of all injuries to the tackler, highlighting the tackle as the key game event to consider when developing concussion and all injury reduction strategies.

The average severity of match injuries in 2017-18 was 37 days.
    World Rugby has sought to limit the further spread of concussion injuries by trialling lower tackle height regulations, while the RFU is working with World Rugby on the idea of a post-game high-tackle warning for challenges that go unpunished during the match.

Source BBC article on Premiership stats

The FRench Union (FFR) have asked for real change, to make the game safer for all concerned. It appears however financial interests may prevent any chance of real change in the professional game.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 10-01-19 at 10:01.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It's not just about lowering the tackle height though is it?
    It's about poor tackling technique.

It baffles me that at grassroots you see good tackle technique taught and used every week, but at top level (including internationals) you frequently see poor technique (quite often head on the wrong side).

Did all these pro players forget what they were taught as youngsters, or is this as a result of the stood up tackle technique they have learned since?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think the HIA is an opportunity to allow a team to continue to play at full strength whilst a potential concussion is reviewed by medical staff. All of this has to be good for player welfare unless they try to pass a test they know they shouldn't (but mostly their decision making will be impaired) and it requires integrity from the medical staff, which is there in most cases, but there have been a few cases where that has been brought into question. As a general rule, this is getting better monitored in the professional game with using live data from GPS and accelerometers. At grass roots, we should still take the view if there is any concern about concussion, the player is off.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Re: Injury update

Jonathan Sexton has poor tackling technique and high rate of recurring potential concussion issues.
    Video analysis. Although this is something the Outhalf vigorously denies, which suggests he not going to lower his tackle anytime soon.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 11-01-19 at 19:01.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    I think the HIA is an opportunity to allow a team to continue to play at full strength whilst a potential concussion is reviewed by medical staff. All of this has to be good for player welfare unless they try to pass a test they know they shouldn't (but mostly their decision making will be impaired) and it requires integrity from the medical staff, which is there in most cases, but there have been a few cases where that has been brought into question. As a general rule, this is getting better monitored in the professional game with using live data from GPS and accelerometers. At grass roots, we should still take the view if there is any concern about concussion, the player is off.

The HIA has been cleverly sold as that.
    The reality is

In grass roots rugby, players with suspected concussion have to leave the pitch.

In pro rugby the HIA is method of allowing players with suspected concussion to get back on the pitch (by passing a test, the value of which is not universally accepted).

two weeks ago - or three? - northampton had two players leave the pitch simultaneously for HIA

The commentators remarked that the doctor would be in a dilemma now as to which one to assess first, because whichever was left to go second would run out of time, as you can't do two proper HIAs in the time available.
    You would think.

They first assessed Dan Biggar (for he was one) Biggar had hit the ground with a possible head injury, and when he tried to get up had fallen over again. No, that doesn't necessarily mean he was concussed, perhaps it was slippery, but it's a clear red flag (we have all done the training right?) and in grass roots rugby that would have been the end of his afternoon.

As it turned out it he completed his HIA very quickly and was back on the pitch just a few minutes later.

(No, I wasn't there and No of course I can't diagnose concussion from my armchair... but this is not an isolated incident, is it?)
    Last edited by crossref; 11-01-19 at 19:01.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

more HIA

Clarity needed over HIAs

In the week when a fourth French player, Nathan Soyeux, died from injuries sustained playing rugby in just an eight-month period, clarity around the Head Injury Assessment process never felt so important.

Last February in Paris Johnny Sexton questioned the substitution of French scrumhalf Antonie Dupont at a crucial moment in the Six Nations game. The medics, despite clearly treating Dupont’s knee, were allowed send Maxime Machaneaud back into the game as it was deemed a HIA.

“I have an official match doctor telling me it is a HIA,” Owens told Johnny Sexton at the time. “I am no medic and I am going to go with the official match doctor.”

Like Owens, referee Luke Pearce sought to avoid ambiguity when it came to the removal of Toulouse’s All Black duo Charlie Faumuina and Jerome Kaino at the RDS on Saturday.

Pearce (for Faumuina sub): “Excuses-moi, is this a HIA or tactical? Hang on. We need to decide. If it is a HIA he has 10 minutes to return or he is injured? Which is it?”

Doctor: “Concussion.”

Pearce (for Kaino sub): “Time off please. Sorry mate my French isn’t that great. Is he going on?”

Doctor: “No.”

Pearce: “I want to clear something up. Is this guy going off or not? Doctor, I really need your help here. Is this player staying on or is he going off? Number eight. Okay you’re going off. Just tactical, eh?”

Kaino: “HIA.”

Doctor: “No, no, no, no.”

It was tactical so?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...dent-1.3756700

Thread Information