Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Where is the best place to find sanctions these days

      
  1. #1

    Referees in Scotland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    20 Dec 17
    Posts
    255
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    61

    Default Where is the best place to find sanctions these days

    With the changes/simplification (!) of the law book some of the sanctions for offences seem to have been removed - where would be the best place to find these?

    For example Law 20 Penalty and Free Kick. Lots of laws defining how a penalty or free kick must be taken, but no details of the sanction if a team offends. 20.11 ..."The ball must be kicked a visible distance....." OK, but what it it's not? Allow a retake, scrum to opposition? Free kick to opposition?

    I think for this one I recall it's a FK, but in general where have all the sanctions gone?

  2. #2

    Advises in England
    OB..'s Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Join Date
    07 Oct 04
    Posts
    22,173
    Thanks (Received)
    95
    Likes (Received)
    1350

    Default Re: Where is the best place to find sanctions these days

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    where have all the sanctions gone?
    cf the WR Anthem:-

    Where have all the sanctions gone?
    Long time passing
    Where have all the sanctions gone?
    Long time ago
    Where have all the sanctions gone?
    Someone's nicked them every one
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

  3. #3

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    10
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    15,547
    Thanks (Received)
    109
    Likes (Received)
    1477

    Default Re: Where is the best place to find sanctions these days

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    . 20.11 ..."The ball must be kicked a visible distance....." OK, but what it it's not? Allow a retake, scrum to opposition? Free kick to opposition?

    ?
    Where there is no sanction it's a requirement not an offence, so the of the ball hasn't moved then the PK hasn't been taken .. try again

  4. #4

    Referees in Wales
    Taff's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Join Date
    23 Aug 09
    Posts
    6,744
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Received)
    288

    Default Re: Where is the best place to find sanctions these days

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    With the changes/simplification (!) of the law book some of the sanctions for offences seem to have been removed - where would be the best place to find these?
    I know this will sound flippant, but my honest answer would be the 2017 lawbook; you know the complicated one that most people understood, rather than the shortened "simplified" version which some struggle with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    ... For example Law 20 Penalty and Free Kick. Lots of laws defining how a penalty or free kick must be taken, but no details of the sanction if a team offends. 20.11 ..."The ball must be kicked a visible distance....." OK, but what it it's not? Allow a retake, scrum to opposition? Free kick to opposition? I think for this one I recall it's a FK, but in general where have all the sanctions gone?
    I thought the general rule was "Any infringement by the kicking side results in an opposition scrum at the mark".

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Where there is no sanction it's a requirement not an offence, so the of the ball hasn't moved then the PK hasn't been taken .. try again
    I'm not 100% convinced that is correct. Depends on how pedantic you want to be - depends on the level of the game etc. Ie you probably wouldn't be as strict with an U15 school game as you would with a RWC Final etc.
    Last edited by Taff; 5 Days Ago at 10:01.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •