Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

      
  1. #51

    Referees in Australia


    Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    27 Jul 13
    Posts
    998
    Thanks (Received)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    207

    Default Re: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

    Disallowing a mark because the call / signal is slightly later than 'simultaneous' reeks of 'gotcha' refereeing, particularly in grass roots games, and particularly if there's no pressure around the catcher.

  2. #52

    Referees in England
    ctrainor's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    7
    Join Date
    23 Jun 05
    Posts
    2,374
    Thanks (Received)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    170

    Default Re: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

    Sorry guys, that doesn't sound right. I'm not that harsh honest.
    I'm talking about a "significant" time delay which is clearly an afterthought when told by colleagues
    I also get mark called when the ball is meters away in the air. What about that?
    Ciaran Trainor

  3. #53

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,714
    Thanks (Received)
    138
    Likes (Received)
    1747

    Default Re: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    Sorry guys, that doesn't sound right. I'm not that harsh honest.
    I'm talking about a "significant" time delay which is clearly an afterthought when told by colleagues
    I also get mark called when the ball is meters away in the air. What about that?
    As long as he then catches it.. I'd give it

  4. #54

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria -The North
    Grade
    Advisor/Assessor
    Join Date
    14 Mar 05
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    85

    Default Re: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

    The bent arm signal is nothing to do with the player (it is for the ref to signify) -they are trying to prompt the ref, or the opposition.

    Give a positive whistle/signal -or NO, PLAY ON! according to your judgement.

    I think you will find most players know what the obligations are for a valid'Mark' -their opponents certainly do.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)

  5. #55

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,714
    Thanks (Received)
    138
    Likes (Received)
    1747

    Default Re: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

    The bent arm is useful for players in stadium rugby where the ref may not be able to hear the shout over the noise

    It's also useful in grass roots rugby where the ref might be, ahem, some distance away and his hearing not as sharp as it once was.

  6. #56
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    861
    Thanks (Received)
    18
    Likes (Received)
    166

    Default Re: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post

    It's also useful in grass roots rugby where the ref might be, ahem, some distance away and his hearing not as sharp as it once was.
    Yes. ..but the bent arm isn't much good if the Refs eyesight isn't what it used to be either!!!!!!!!!!

  7. #57

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    14,889
    Thanks (Received)
    158
    Likes (Received)
    1290
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    I am not convinced that a bobbled catch can now claim a Mark, but have asked the question of laws@RFU.com
    Let's see what they say in reply?
    So I got a reply from laws@rfu.com and will now referee accordingly.

    Question
    The phrase "Clean Catch" has been removed from the 2018 and 2019 law books in Law 17.
    Does this mean that a bobbled catch can now claim a Mark, as long as it is caught without touching the floor or another player?
    Answer
    As you indicate the law books have been simplified and content reduced, but the substance of the laws have not changed. However that does leave a few challenges around interpretation.

    For the question you pose, where a player juggles the ball as they catch it. Provided the player retains control and possession of the ball, as you describe then this is fine.

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


  8. #58

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,714
    Thanks (Received)
    138
    Likes (Received)
    1747

    Default Re: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

    It's a lovely Orwellian answer , bobbling is ok , bobbling has always been ok

    Phil , are you going to check all the other changes with RFU Laws ? That will be fun
    Last edited by crossref; 22-01-19 at 19:01.

  9. #59
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,507
    Thanks (Received)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    329

    Default Re: MARK - Is this a valid mark ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    So I got a reply from laws@rfu.com and will now referee accordingly.

    Question
    The phrase "Clean Catch" has been removed from the 2018 and 2019 law books in Law 17.
    Does this mean that a bobbled catch can now claim a Mark, as long as it is caught without touching the floor or another player?





    Answer
    As you indicate the law books have been simplified and content reduced, but the substance of the laws have not changed. However that does leave a few challenges around interpretation.

    For the question you pose, where a player juggles the ball as they catch it. Provided the player retains control and possession of the ball, as you describe then this is fine.



    Thank you Phil.
    As an aside, that is an interesting bit in bold!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •