Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

      
  1. #21

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,692
    Thanks (Received)
    137
    Likes (Received)
    1743

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    Since we're looking at the laws in detail, 7.2.c - knock-on advantage over, go back for red scrum 5?
    Good point
    Last edited by crossref; 05-02-19 at 12:02.

  2. #22

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,692
    Thanks (Received)
    137
    Likes (Received)
    1743

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    So here is what I think is the answer.

    Much as I would like to award the try, I cannot get round Law 13.3

    13.3 A player on the ground without the ball is out of the game and must:
    Allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball.
    Not play the ball.
    Not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.


    If Red is allowed to roll over and play the ball, then so is Blue and this seems to be exactly what 13.3 specificly forbids.

    But as Rich NL points out the correct answer is actually neither A nor B (oops)

    The correct answer, I believe, is

    The ball is lost forward from Blue, so playing advantage to Red

    Red commits an offence (playing ball on ground )

    So no advantage gained, back to the knock on

    Sanction for Blue KO in the in goal : 5m scrum to Red

    Anyone seriously disagree ?

  3. #23

    ELRA/Club Referee


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    08 Nov 18
    Posts
    116
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    34

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    By the absolute wording of the law book that would be the correct decision. That said I still think I would want to see the dynamics of who stopped moving after the tackle, when and how. Wet pitch, dry pitch, natural roll, artificial roll. I would want to award the try and would be looking for reasons to do so rather than for excuses to chalk it off

  4. #24

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,692
    Thanks (Received)
    137
    Likes (Received)
    1743

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    By the absolute wording of the law book that would be the correct decision. That said I still think I would want to see the dynamics of who stopped moving after the tackle, when and how. Wet pitch, dry pitch, natural roll, artificial roll. I would want to award the try and would be looking for reasons to do so rather than for excuses to chalk it off
    I think that sounds sensible , but I think you have to extend the same latitude to both players .. which means you may well have both of them on the floor scrabbling for the ball .. so we end up back at 13.3 again ..

  5. #25

    ELRA/Club Referee


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    08 Nov 18
    Posts
    116
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    34

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    I wouldn't disagree

  6. #26

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,692
    Thanks (Received)
    137
    Likes (Received)
    1743

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    I think that, as time goes on and we work through some scenarios , we see that 13.3 has a definite impact on the game

  7. #27

    Referees in Australia
    menace's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    20 Nov 09
    Posts
    3,548
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    485
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    So here is what I think is the answer.

    Much as I would like to award the try, I cannot get round Law 13.3

    13.3 A player on the ground without the ball is out of the game and must:
    Allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball.
    Not play the ball.
    Not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.


    If Red is allowed to roll over and play the ball, then so is Blue and this seems to be exactly what 13.3 specificly forbids.

    But as Rich NL points out the correct answer is actually neither A nor B (oops)

    The correct answer, I believe, is

    The ball is lost forward from Blue, so playing advantage to Red

    Red commits an offence (playing ball on ground )

    So no advantage gained, back to the knock on

    Sanction for Blue KO in the in goal : 5m scrum to Red

    Anyone seriously disagree ?
    Yeah Im sorry - I do.
    I'm awarding the try. The players, spectators, officials and even the sh!tting bird flying over will be expecting a try to be awarded.

    I'm certainly not going to reward blues f@ck up in that zone by a small technicality of the player being on their feet in the scoring area. Was their action touching down the ball while off their feet their feet a positive or negative action.
    You seem to want to apply the laws so rigidly that you've thrown empathy and feel for the game totally out the window. I would caution such an approach. It's almost like you have no feel for the game and what players are trying to achieve?
    Youve played the game..if that was you rolling over to score would you really expect the ref to deny you after Blues monumental f@ck up?

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I think that, as time goes on and we work through some scenarios , we see that 13.3 has a definite impact on the game
    It will if you keep wanting to apply it so rigidly to the exact letter. You are going to kill the game. In such a dynamic sport you have to to bend a little on the laws.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

  8. #28
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Join Date
    10 Dec 15
    Posts
    1,772
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    401

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    So here is what I think is the answer.

    Much as I would like to award the try, I cannot get round Law 13.3

    13.3 A player on the ground without the ball is out of the game and must:
    Allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball.
    Not play the ball.
    Not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.


    If Red is allowed to roll over and play the ball, then so is Blue and this seems to be exactly what 13.3 specificly forbids.

    But as Rich NL points out the correct answer is actually neither A nor B (oops)

    The correct answer, I believe, is

    The ball is lost forward from Blue, so playing advantage to Red

    Red commits an offence (playing ball on ground )

    So no advantage gained, back to the knock on

    Sanction for Blue KO in the in goal : 5m scrum to Red

    Anyone seriously disagree ?
    I'd certainly err on awarding the try, but would have to see the situation. If the red player rolls several times, or crawls with no attempt to get back to his feet it'd be easier to penalise.

    As others have said, not giving it would be a difficult sell, particularly if there was no clear knock on and the other option was a blue PK.

    Likewise if blue touched it down in the same way I'd be hard-pressed to penalise him, but again, I'd have to see the situation.

  9. #29

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,692
    Thanks (Received)
    137
    Likes (Received)
    1743

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    NB in the scenario the player has to roll over before he can reach out and ground the ball.

    That was deliberate, so as to force you to consider 13.3 ..

  10. #30

    Referees in England
    TheBFG's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6
    Join Date
    14 Apr 08
    Posts
    4,375
    Thanks (Received)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    209

    Default Re: Quiz #7 tackle in goal

    So if a ball is kicked into goal and a player slides to ground it (attacker or defender) you're going to penalise them for playing the ball while off their feet
    __________________________________________________ _______

    happy with this posting

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •