Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1 AR and 1 TJ?

"I do it this way cos the guv'ner told me to do it this way". Your feudal system roots have a lot to answer for.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    "I do it this way cos the guv'ner told me to do it this way". Your feudal system roots have a lot to answer for.
    Now, now .. you know me pretty well, you know that i am willing to take on received wisdom when I want to !

I don't really have strong opinions about ARs in grassroot rugby.

I do know that if we wanted them ... we would need roughly 3x as many people as we have now ... I think that's the real problem , rather than how best to deploy the tiny numbers of unappointed refs we have some weeks

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Now, now .. you know me pretty well, you know that i am willing to take on received wisdom when I want to !

I don't really have strong opinions about ARs in grassroot rugby.

I do know that if we wanted them ... we would need roughly 3x as many people as we have now ... I think that's the real problem , rather than how best to deploy the tiny numbers of unappointed refs we have some weeks
    Yeah, I get that having an AR might be a rare treat. So surely a treat that would be all the more worth savouring.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Just do a comparison between the number of games of rugby in England, Australia and any other territory you want to include to understand the scale of the issue and the logistics of how the game day is run.
    At Old Rottinghamians, at the common, they have three pitches and on a good day will have three home games all kicking of at 2:30 pm so to have a ref and 2 AR for each game 9 officials are needed - not happening as there is nowhere near that level of resource. To have AR for the first team game only you would still need 5.
    At Wallamaloo Wombats they have one pitch and play 3 games one after the other starting at 12:00 so the appointed ref for that game and the ref for the second game can stay and be the AR at the 1st grade game kicking of at 3:00 pm. This also explains why the clock does not stop in the earlier games for those in the UK. Hence the 2nd game might have one ref and one AR.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Seems to me it would cause endless fake injury .. but in Australia everyone accepts it and it seems to work for those involved, presumably
    again, another fascinating cultural norm [I've just finished reading 'Sapiens' - highly recommended]. You expect people to cheat until proven otherwise; we expect people not to cheat until proven otherwise.

A scouser friend told me that in Liverpool you just never leave anything in your front yard (garden hose, pot plant, etc) because it is just a recognised part of life that someone will steal it (probably viewed as your fault for tempting them!)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I get that having an AR might be a rare treat. So surely a treat that would be all the more worth savouring.
    Shrug .. I don't really know ,it's not in our system

If I was suddenly offered 2 AR for this Saturday's perfectly ordinary merit table game I would (a) think it was a mistake (b) wonder wtf they meant by that ? (c) worry and (d) not know what to do with them . Other refs may well feel differently

It would be a bit like staying over at a mates house and findimg that he had allocated me a valet

On the other hand if at the last minute I was told that one of my colleagues was coming to watch me and offer thoughts and coaching I would be really pleased !

But I appreciate I am conditioned by the system I know

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Out of interest, ow many matches are played in Victoria on a weekend?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

again, another fascinating cultural norm [I've just finished reading 'Sapiens' - highly recommended]. You expect people to cheat until proven otherwise; we expect people not to cheat until proven otherwise.

A scouser friend told me that in Liverpool you just never leave anything in your front yard (garden hose, pot plant, etc) because it is just a recognised part of life that someone will steal it (probably viewed as your fault for tempting them!)
    For #1 you are over egging it
    For #2 he was pulling your leg a bit , thats the cultural stereotype that scousers are all criminal.. a running joke. We also have the same stereotype / joke about Australians We dont really think it's true though

- - - Updated - - -

For #1 you are over egging it
    For #2 he was pulling your leg a bit , thats the cultural stereotype that scousers are all criminal.. a running joke. We also have the same stereotype / joke about Australians We dont really think it's true though

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No Idea about Victoria, but in the Illawarra where I am in NSW there are about 8 clubs so with the time between the most distant a couple of hours. There are then several other districts in NSW and the city comps where the clubs are obviously a bit closer together but like London can take a while to get there due to shopping traffic on a Saturday
    Compare that to my old clubs stomping ground in Cambridgeshire (they play at the common) where it only took more than hour to get to a dozen different clubs if you got stuck at a level crossing!

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes,

Australia.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information