Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1 AR and 1 TJ?

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Some years ago we had a Welsh referee join our society. He had been refereeing in Wales but got injured, so did a stint of assessing. When he asked to come back to refereeing that was refused, so he assessed in Wales once a month and refereed for us the remaining weeks.

Our expenses system specified 10p a mile up to the county border, and the standard RFU rate once in Gloucestershire. Several clubs queried his expenses claim with me, but accepted the explanation as he was good at his job.

A while ago the WRU made people choose Ref or Assess. I think they may have relented again. If he gave up his license he would have had to start again. Although it would have been a fast track process.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    A while ago the WRU made people choose Ref or Assess. I think they may have relented again. If he gave up his license he would have had to start again. Although it would have been a fast track process.
    I am tempted to say "What a waste of resources !"

But I understand that you have a different system , with different context and no doubt there are good reasons for that policy that would make sense in context of the overall system and environment in Wales

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I totally agree and can't understand why you were only "tempted" (not). The call was explained to as this.

An assesor can influence the career of a referee that he assesses. Therfore it is not right that a person do both. Clearly there us a risk for this BUT, in the vast majority of cases it would, more than likely be some one who, like me is coming toward the end of our time as a ref wh owishes to "dip their toe in the water" before fully committing to assessing. After all it is not for everbody.

But, in my opinion it is indeed folly on the part of the WRU.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We have often had injured referees using their time off to assess instead, but there have been more who don't like the idea. I think the paperwork puts them off. I have always felt that assessing other referees helps a referee to get a different perspective and learn about his own refereeing.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We are working on a peer to peer role with slightly different forms and different objectives . Less formal . It's not going to give you a platform for promotion but it is more of an MOT.

I think it's a really good idea. The life of the community ref is lonely we don't get watched much , we also never watch other refs (watching elite rugby doesn't count)
    Having a colleague watch a game constructive ly and saying 'have you thought of' is great

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    We are working on a peer to peer role with slightly different forms and different objectives . Less formal . It's not going to give you a platform for promotion but it is more of an MOT.

I think it's a really good idea. The life of the community ref is lonely we don't get watched much , we also never watch other refs (watching elite rugby doesn't count)
    Having a colleague watch a game constructive ly and saying 'have you thought of' is great
    I agree we should watch other refs and share.

I've been asked t osort the refs at a schools event soon. There are 5 or 6 of us (TBC) my intention is to rotate so we all AR for each other and that way we can see other methods. Pretty informal but We are all hopeful of learning something. There is a mix of experience and styles so it should be interesting.

One the topic of assessing I would really like to investigate that further. and am frustrated that the current system, here in Wales, prevents me from doing so unless I make an "all or nothing" choice.

Relevance to the thread? I could even do that whilst acting as AR for him!

I think the fear of a ref "marking down" a rival is unfounded. I am going nowhere at 58 I am happy doing the sort of game I am getting. Why would I want to hold a good ref, with time on his side back? It makes no sense!
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 3 Days Ago at 10:02.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    I agree we should watch other refs and share.

I've been asked t osort the refs at a schools event soon. There are 5 or 6 of us (TBC) my intention is to rotate so we all AR for each other and that way we can see other methods. Pretty informal but We are all hopeful of learning something. There is a mix of experience and styles so it should be interesting.

One the topic of assessing I would really like to investigate that further. and am frustrated that the current system, here in Wales, prevents me from doing so unless I make an "all or nothing" choice.

Relevance to the thread? I could even do that whilst acting as AR for him!

I think the fear of a ref "marking down" a rival is unfounded. I am going nowhere at 58 I am happy doing the sort of game I am getting. Why would I want to hold a good ref, with time on his side back? It makes no sense!
    I have done both an assessors course and a coaches course. I much prefer referee coaching to assessing and find it more rewarding. It is also something I can do while still refereeing myself. That may be an avenue you could explore?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Possibly. Certainly need to step up looking at the next stage.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think you can be a good AR and a good coach at the same time

The AR job is principally to look at everything else APART from what the ref is doing ...
    Last edited by crossref; 3 Days Ago at 15:02.

Thread Information