Thread: Scotland v Ireland Sexton failed HIA

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Scotland v Ireland Sexton failed HIA

I'm sure it's different, but torn ligaments have immediate physical signs and heal gradually. You can see a player pulling up short, wincing, favouring a leg; you can see fluid buildup, inflammation, use scans and MRIs to assess the healing.

You can't see the player lying awake all night, or popping pills to control headaches, or having mood swings. And the last phase of recovery from concussion is mostly asymptomatic, and a judgement call as to when to say it's completely healed. If there were a scan or a blood test to take, I think teams would be happier to defer to that than a rule of thumb that (playing devil's advocate) errs on the conservative side anyway and leaves you without a perfectly healthy star tackler or top goal kicker for a couple of weeks in the name of nothing but caution.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes. But then we also see pro players apparently unconscious and then back on the field ten minutes later

We are sort of at cross purposes as you are describing what should happen and I am describing what I worry seemse actually happening
    Last edited by crossref; 13-02-19 at 15:02.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The majority of players, both Pro and Amateur, are still very stupid about potential concussion. I regularly have to prevent players from returning to the field of play following a significant head injury, frequently with them protesting vociferously that they are fine (despite being clearly KO'd or groggy from a head injury). Same in the pro game with players returning to the field of play after apparently passing an HIA despite being clearly KO'd or groggy.

Players generally still fail to understand the seriousness of concussion and more work needs to be done by local Unions and referee societies to educate around concussion.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    The majority of players, both Pro and Amateur, are still very stupid about potential concussion. I regularly have to prevent players from returning to the field of play following a significant head injury, frequently with them protesting vociferously that they are fine (despite being clearly KO'd or groggy from a head injury). Same in the pro game with players returning to the field of play after apparently passing an HIA despite being clearly KO'd or groggy.

Players generally still fail to understand the seriousness of concussion and more work needs to be done by local Unions and referee societies to educate around concussion.

Recently, Really?
    My experience is the exact opposite, I find grass roots player very aware of the risks and very ready to remove players with suspected head injury

It's about two years since I had taken any action myself and that was an unusual one (no obvious incident but weird symptoms at half time )

In the Pro game I agree with you .. no end of players passing HIA and playing on

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Our local zone Board tried to get an information day set up for ALL local sports associations to attend. Guest speakers were to be doctors, a neurologist, Accident & Emergency nurses, an "expert" on concussion representative from the ARU (now RA) etc.
    A great initiative where health professionals were going to donate their time for a good cause.
    Never happened.
    Not enough support to get the required numbers there and the response from the people running the local Rugby League competition was, "We don't want to know about that sh!t"

When my son (doctor) was working in a large hospital south of Sydney, he would see 6 to 8 suspected concussions each Saturday during the footy season and he was just one of about 6 doctors working in A&E on those days. Their advice to patients was one month before returning to contact sport. Ofcourse the GRTP protocols from the sport's governing bodies varied from 12 to 21 days.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I regularly have to prevent players from returning to the field of play following a significant head injury, frequently with them protesting vociferously that they are fine (despite being clearly KO'd or groggy from a head injury).
    I'm sure you know already - "unreasonable" anger or outburst can be one symptom of concussion!
    I had it once when a player "went off" like a cracker when I politely asked if he was ok after a head-knock and would like a trainer. I asked his captain if he was usually an angry player - which capt said "no". Cue trainer and capt to 'convince' and assist him from the field - and not to return.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I find grass roots player very aware of the risks and very ready to remove players with suspected head injury
    I agree with CR. The RFU has worked very hard (other NGBs are available) on concussion awareness etc. If teams/clubs/squads/individualas are choosing not to engage with the program there's little further that can be done, aside form "when its too late" maybe.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I would give RFU in the amateur game high marks on this, and WR and the Pro game low marks

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Leigh Halfpenny has been off for 3 months with concussion after the Aussie game in the AI's, so it seems like Scarlets and the WRU are taking it seriously.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Yes. But then we also see pro players apparently unconscious and then back on the field ten minutes later

We are sort of at cross purposes as you are describing what should happen and I am describing what I worry seemse actually happening
    I'm describing why I think clubs treat concussion differently from other injuries, not defending it at all. It's precisely the reason I think a disinterested expert opinion is needed in concussion-related matters... it might also help keep French first rowers on the pitch near the end of a close game

Thread Information