Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Scotland v Ireland Sexton failed HIA

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I think the issue is that - perhaps - there is a trend : referees are getting increasingly slack about this, and letting it go.

everyone gets steamed up about pro refs ignoring squint put ins, similarly we might get upset if they start to ignore late tackles.

(hopefully more upset about that)
    Or it's the usual sort of interview you normally get from coaches where they are using the media to try and influence the referee.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2019/02/11...on-negligence/

Meanwhile this doesn't seem to be getting much play at all...
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think there’s a bit of that. There are another couple of aspects at play here, which are not so evident from the sidelines.
    Both were comments made by Brian O'Driscoll on the same show. Firstly Jonnie Sexton is selfless, and carries the ball in contact in order to take the defender out of the equation and in the hope to get the pass away at the last possible moment. Sometimes the defender will slide out to cover the eventual pass and Sexton gets a line break himself. But more often than not he gets the ball away and gets clobbered. He needs to be protected from himself, and coached to make the pass a fraction sooner. If the hits continue then they can be seen to be late. As things stand they are marginal, by virtue of the number 10 choosing to play so close to the gameline.

BOD has outlined that he believes Johnny Sexton can come across as " confrontational" when discussing issues with the referee during a game. For example recent comments to match referee Pascal Gauzere, when he had the captain’s armband.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Sexton
    «I know you hate me, but you have to talk to me.»
    I think his attitude is a bit off. Perhaps Gauzere should have asked him if he had a law reference for that. Obligation to talk to the team captain? Any one?
    Context: Summer tests 2018

Good luck to any team doctor telling him he has to come off, the day he does suffer a concussion, he’s pretty aggressive in his tone on match days.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 28-02-19 at 19:02.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Sexton out of the squad for this weekend..

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Oddly enough ( or do I mean interestingly enough?) for the last two weeks, neither the National coach, nor Leinster’s head coach have made any reference to his condition. Jonathan Sexton is taking a leaf out of the Conor Murray book of private medical details are not for public consumption. A squint at the latest squad update, and you will spot the elephant in the room. Their key playmaker doesn’t make the match day 23 and that’s not news worthy.

Poor old Munster were plagued all week with talk of how the absence of NZ born Joey Carbery, (on “loan” from Leinster, to get game time) was key to our chances of sucess. Thankfully, for us he has rehab’d his hamstring injury in time.

The number of International caps in our squad with or without the new 10, makes those journalistic comments look nonsense. But does contrast with the lack of any mention of Ireland’s number one choice outhalf this weekend.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 30-03-19 at 07:03.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Sexton had a leg injury I believe .
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Scotland v Ireland Sexton failed HIA

I will have a look. Not found any mention as yet, or leg injury or otherwise. He certainly had a knee injury prior to the Six Nations starting.
    Sexton, 33, has not played since Leinster's Pro14 derby loss to Munster on 29 December because of a knee injury but he returned to training this week.
    His last game against Wales was the worst performance from Jonathan Sexton for a long time.

In the meantime, the drift of this discussion is still on track. Against Scotland, Murrayfield 9 February, JS failed a HIA. Somewhere it needs to be written by World Rugby, what fast-track schedule is acceptable with International/Elite/Professional players. I think at grassroots level things have been made pretty clear about return to play.
    ..the 17th minute when hit by prop Allan Dell a split second after putting Jacob Stockdale away for Ireland’s second try. “Johnny failed a HIA,” Schmidt confirmed. “In the lead up to our second try he hit the ground quite hard. He’s pretty good now. “We were always going to err on the side of caution, just because we want to look after people.”
    Otherwise, statements like this, look contradictory. Jonathan Sexton trained fully and started the game against Italy two weeks after FAILING his HIA. Wales seem to have erred on the side of caution when one of their key players failed a HIA. Ireland for me appear to throw caution to the wind and say we have top medical kit available to us, Trust us!

We have already mentioned several examples (December 2017 against Munster) of when the care pf JS following suspected head injuries has been less than transparent. It’s not just me. In January 2017, ERC asked Leinster to clarify the circumstances surrounding Johnny Sexton’s prompt return to play during Friday’s win over Montpellier. He when off for a ten minute HIA and was back on the field of play in 4 to 6 minutes. Hardly erring on the side of caution. His getting frustrated with medical staff, should be a further reason to suspect he has suffered a concussion and not one to let him return to play early.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 31-03-19 at 09:03.
    John Henry Newman

Thread Information