Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: May in-goal hold back?

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Yes, it's Foul Play, but there are different levels of Foul Play, ranging from technical offences up to the worst.

I haven't read the "simplified" lawbook but I'm sure there was a section in the previous book that said an offence by the scoring side could effectively be ignored if the try would probably have been scored anyway.
    This was not a technical offence. It was tackling or obstructing a player without the ball. What do you usually do in such circumstances in open play? Simply ignore it?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    I thought May was making a legal tackle on the French player. He is allowed ( now ) to tackle the player as the defender is attempting to gain possession ( the French player's hand tried to control the ball ). The defender makes himself liable to a tackle as soon as he touches the ball with his hand. This is similar to how Jack Nowell tackled Jacob Stockdale who was juggling the ball in the in-goal last week.
    Or am I stretching it ?
    The two players are going for a loose ball. It has always been the case that shoulder to shoulder contact is OK under such circumstances. In this case the French player put his arm across in front of May to try and reach the ball as he slid; May was also trying to reach out for it. The arms tangled well short of the ball. I don't see that the Frenchman was prevented from reaching the ball. I remain of the view that it was just a rugby incident. I think the officials are likely to have taken the same line.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

In 1978 John Conlee released a song called "Rose Colored Glasses", I was in 8th grade. I didn't hear the song till this thread sent me on a google search.

When all is said and done. A try was awarded.

PMWOB
    Last edited by Not Kurt Weaver; 12-02-19 at 01:02.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I cant see the video (some area blocking thingo)...but as described 2 players werent on their feet...so Im more surprised someone (yes you Crossref ) hasnt wanted to penalise one or both of them for being off their feet and playing the ball!!

Ill get me coat....
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    I cant see the video (some area blocking thingo)...but as described 2 players werent on their feet...so Im more surprised someone (yes you Crossref ) hasnt wanted to penalise one or both of them for being off their feet and playing the ball!!

Ill get me coat....
    have a look from 2:50 youtube time. It follows on from a quick tap taken before the whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy4HfmFqboo
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post

Ill get me coat....
    They go to ground to play the ball .. which is ok 13.1

As opposed to being on the ground, and playing the ball when it comes near which is not ok 13.3

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    have a look from 2:50 youtube time. It follows on from a quick tap taken before the whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy4HfmFqboo
    Watching the video Youngs takes the tap before the PK is awarded, and when he taps it NO obliges by blowing the whistle for him..

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Watching the video Youngs takes the tap before the PK is awarded, and when he taps it NO obliges by blowing the whistle for him..
    deep down inside, everyone despises the French, I don't know why, even the French don't really like the French, NOone really likes to admit it, it just is

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    This was not a technical offence. It was tackling or obstructing a player without the ball. What do you usually do in such circumstances in open play? Simply ignore it?
    But was it "material"?

Imagine a 5m scrum. The attacking SH runs blindside with the ball and the attacking openside Flanker barges the opposing openside Flanker. Yes, technically there has been an infringement (playing the man with the ball / obstruction etc - take your pick) but did it really prevent a probable try? No, because there wasn't a chance in hell the openside Flanker could have done anything about it. I'm pretty sure the lawbook says that's OK.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    But was it "material"?

Imagine a 5m scrum. The attacking SH runs blindside with the ball and the attacking openside Flanker barges the opposing openside Flanker. Yes, technically there has been an infringement (playing the man with the ball / obstruction etc - take your pick) but did it really prevent a probable try? No, because there wasn't a chance in hell the openside Flanker could have done anything about it. I'm pretty sure the lawbook says that's OK.
    Your scenario outlines a situation away from the actual action. The May incident was directly involved in the action.
    How your scenario is handled would depend on the force of the barge. ‘Assault’? ARs frequently stop play if there is foul play with the attacking side in possession at the level I observe, and the referee is following the ball. Depending of course on the severity of the foul play. (Barge)

Thread Information