Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ENG v FRA - Blocking?

I agree with belladonna's "oh just so slightly ahead" call..

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think I heard Farrell say to NO right at the start of the game, something like Sir, we talked about them blocking ..

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I think I heard Farrell say to NO right at the start of the game, something like Sir, we talked about them blocking ..
    ah, yes. I did hear that.
    I didn;t catch NO's reply though

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Definitely agree on the offsides not being enforced, given the 13 man high lines being used it's inevitable that more kicking in behind for a chaser rather than for territory will be used.

Are refs seeing this tactic at lower levels? The influence of rugby league coaches is getting very obvious but it's being used very successfully.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    The key for me when reviewing the incident in slow motion is that both "shepherds" were looking at their opposite numbers rather than the ball (or the ball carrier) before turning away at the last split-second to put the shoulder in, or suddenly stop, which explains why Bastareaud takes such a tumble... they are not an accidental or incidental collisions, at all.

I hope refs in future 6N matches will watch out for unsporting tactics like this, rather than time-wasting etc.

On another note, it feels like there have been numerous kicks in open play in which the chasers were a yard or two offside, and also several instances where the 10m rule wasn't observed (with players in the 10m area thinking they've been put onside by an onside chaser) - these don't seem to be being policed as strictly this year. Or is that just me?
    As long as I can remember watching rugby, NZ, Auz etc have always had "supporters" in and around the ball and frequently in front. Micheal Jones, Josh Kronfeld, Richie McCaw were always taking the support line that prevented the opposition 7 from tackling the ball carrier. They called is reading the game!! Australia in the early 90 pioneered dummy/decoy runners and flat passing. It's part of the game.

So what if they look at the opponent what does that mean? If they change direction C+O then ping it but in the context of; Farrell stops and Jamie George waiting for some one to come from behind I do not see that test met.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BikingBud View Post
    Really!
    ...It's part of the game.
    I agree with belladonna. Deliberately obstructing is specifically against the spirit of the game. However you are right in pointing out that since professionalism crept into the game cheating has become more widespread. Stuff like obstruction, unfair play, repeated infringements, dangerous play, handing off a player above the shoulders and other misconduct which is prejudicial to the game. Just because France were infringing the England kick chaser is no justification for Enlang to block potential tacklers or support runners.

Just because cheating has become widespead, that doesn’t make it acceptable.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If we want to watch a pure game without cynical infringements the the best place is watching the girls but you will find that these traits are also becoming commonplace in there as well.

I do feel that offside should be the Law that is applied much more firmly, especially for defensive rucks and kicks, as the line can be drawn simply and easily. And even with a deal of empathy for attacking rugby can be penalised consistently and firmly.

But open play with 30 blokes, and a ref, following the ball but running in different directions C+O blocking really has to be that CLEAR and OBVIOUS. Players even run at the ref to gain and advantage, fully expecting that they will move and create a gap.

Where does smart play and exploitation become cheating? That's a whole different philosophical discussion.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

At grassroots level, you can give players the benefit of the doubt. Through lack of skill he may unintentionally have blocked/obstructed the opposition.

However nothing happens by accident in professional rugby. These running lines have been practiced week in week out. Your use of the word cynical is spot on, nothing philosophical about it. The laws of the game don’t allow for any cynical infringements. That anybody think it normal that such cynical infringements have become commonplace is shocking. There are players out there who think it is okay to target (in the cynical sense) key opposition players and inflict potentially career ending injuries to them. Can this be considered part of the game? (Rhetorical question, to which the only permissible answer is an emphatic No!)

Jonathan Sexton asked Mathieu Bastareaud “Why always me?”.
    Rugby has always been considered a thinking man’s game. That Bastareaud considers many of those red cards undeserved does seem very intelligent on his part. He would do well to think about how he can avoid the red mist descending on his playing style.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 2 Days Ago at 16:02.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Thread Information