Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default ENG v FRA - Blocking?

Good win by England over France yesterday.

Bit surprised by some of the decisions though... for the first try, my instinct was that there had been some blocking, and I felt certain NO would go upstairs to check.

Looks like the DT has picked this up today...
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...-potentialand/

What is so devastating, though, is how England respond to the opportunity as a collective. On the far flank, May has worked back behind the ball. Kyle Sinckler is jockeying Sébastien Vahaamahina and Henry Slade is eying up Mathieu Bastareaud before slowing down to subtly block him.

Jamie George accelerates across in support of Daly, making sure to cut in front of Félix Lambey in the process:

As Daly sashays up-field, before his clip for May to chase, watch how Sinckler, Slade and George manufacture space for their full-back with some off-the-ball trickery:

Players as quick as Daly and May only need tiny openings. England are becoming extremely clever at creating them.
    (Sorry - it's paywalled and the video clip isn't youtubeable... it's at about 52s after the kick-off if you can find a clip.)

What do people think?

There was also a ruck in the 2nd half where, long after France had won the ball, NO allowed an English player on their feet but not first to the ruck to pick the ball up and play on, or at least that's how I saw it! I couldn't figure that one out, at all.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ENG v FRA - Blocking?

Ah OK so here's the clip which makes it a bit more obvious... hopefully it will work, it's a moving gif...

[Edit: the moving gif didn't work ]
    Attached Images
    Last edited by belladonna; 11-02-19 at 15:02.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

That list seems to be missing the times that England were blocked in kick chases. Bit one eyed?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, possibly

I think that sort of blocking (kick chase) is also unsporting - but it's become common practice these days in internationals, sadly.

But the kind of blocking that prevents a defender tackling the ball carrier who then goes on to score usually gets penalised - there were two good examples last week. So I think there's a distinction.

Plus, one of the French players (Bastareaud?) goes flying as a result of contact off the ball - hardly what one might call subtle, and surely worth a review, at least?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

There is a difference between blocking and running/slowing down around your teammates. You are allowed to take a running line back towards your player who is going to catch a ball, and slow as you approach. Key obviously is not to change line, and the main clue is does the player look behind him before changing line?

Similar to the referee, the players have to be somewhere. Yes they will put themselves in the most advantageous position for their team, but as long as they are not changing lines and obviously blocking I'm letting play go on.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

a couple for me:
    1. I thought the penalty try was a bit 'generous' - toeing ball 7 metres out wouldn't meet my definition
    2. did he also let the England SH take a quick tap before blowing for the penalty?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Here's the clip of the blocking, not sure how clear and obvious it is, but like I say I was surprised it didn't get a second look.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm more worried that the DT journalist used the word 'sashays' in a rugby article (but maybe the English players like tutu's too?!)
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes definitely, lots of lazy moving going on but very hard to officiate unless the tmo is involved. To be fair England weren't the only ones at it but given that the kick behind is becoming more prominant in the game it's likely we'll see a lot more of this.

I guess the question is should it be treated like obstruction. You have to stand somewhere but so long as you don't obviously move to block the opposition player you're doing nothing illegal.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nhughes View Post
    I guess the question is should it be treated like obstruction. You have to stand somewhere but so long as you don't obviously move to block the opposition player you're doing nothing illegal.
    The key for me when reviewing the incident in slow motion is that both "shepherds" were looking at their opposite numbers rather than the ball (or the ball carrier) before turning away at the last split-second to put the shoulder in, or suddenly stop, which explains why Bastareaud takes such a tumble... they are not an accidental or incidental collisions, at all.

I hope refs in future 6N matches will watch out for unsporting tactics like this, rather than time-wasting etc.

On another note, it feels like there have been numerous kicks in open play in which the chasers were a yard or two offside, and also several instances where the 10m rule wasn't observed (with players in the 10m area thinking they've been put onside by an onside chaser) - these don't seem to be being policed as strictly this year. Or is that just me?

Thread Information