Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FR Interchanges

Harking back to an old thread. WR law is clear but I know that the RFU may interpret it slightly differently. Law Clarification 2-2007.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That clarification is very old , and the Law context of 2007 was different .

And it refers only to the team taking the PK and whether they can make substitution, it doesn't deal with the oppo

But hey, yes, it supports the answer that it is all permissable

But really I think no answer is possible unless you know what competition regulations say

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen referees not permit interchanges on an opposition PK - and extend that to a scrum taken in place of a kick and the line-out following a PK to touch.

The RFu regulation 13 Appendix 2 para 28 states:

"In addition to the powers set out in the Laws of the Game, Referees are entitled in their sole opinion to prohibit or postpone a Player Interchange if they believe either that the Player Interchange would prevent the opposition from restarting the game quickly or where the replacement Player is not fit to continue playing in the match."

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That would apply when Blue want to take a quick tap, and certainly I would not allow Red to stop a quick tap by making a replacement .

But once Blue opt for a scrum .. a scrum is a usual/normal time for replacements

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    I have seen referees not permit interchanges on an opposition PK - and extend that to a scrum taken in place of a kick and the line-out following a PK to touch.

The RFu regulation 13 Appendix 2 para 28 states:

"In addition to the powers set out in the Laws of the Game, Referees are entitled in their sole opinion to prohibit or postpone a Player Interchange if they believe either that the Player Interchange would prevent the opposition from restarting the game quickly or where the replacement Player is not fit to continue playing in the match."
    This situation has come about by word of mouth perpetuated in societies and is a widespead myth. Referees at all levels take it with them and so you will see it at some of the higher level games. It stems from a blanket belief of ‘no changes at penalties’ etc but not taking on board that it applies to quick penalties only. I accept that 2-2007 is getting on a bit but it was an attempt to remove the myth. But in reality how many officials actually trawl through the laws snd such things?

Thread Information