Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reaching Over in the Maul

And how frequently do we see (mainly second row) players using 2 arms, or alternate arms, to grab the rearmost players in a maul? There cannot be properly bound yet are allowed to do this. Any ideas why?

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Beginner, not graded yet
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks fellas, got it now!

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    And how frequently do we see (mainly second row) players using 2 arms, or alternate arms, to grab the rearmost players in a maul? There cannot be properly bound yet are allowed to do this. Any ideas why?
    They are probably bound in to the maul by other players.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

How many of you would PK a white player caught in a maul, that grabbed the ball form a red player (reached over) and passed it back to his #9 ie missing his own players bound behind him?

Seems a tough call in these circumstances - surely that isn't what the long reach law is to prevent?

didds

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I cannot find a law that forbids it, this one below actually permits it.

DURING A MAUL

All players in a maul must be caught in or bound to it and not just alongside it.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    How many of you would PK a white player caught in a maul, that grabbed the ball form a red player (reached over) and passed it back to his #9 ie missing his own players bound behind him?

Seems a tough call in these circumstances - surely that isn't what the long reach law is to prevent?

didds
    I wouldn't penalise that...as I said in earlier post I don't believe the long arm reach applies once the maul is formed, rather it only applies at the formation stage or just before formation.

Edit....for instance the 2nd row has the ball with the hooker wrapped around him at waist level with his head at 2nd rows hips. Do we really expect the 2nd row to have to get hooker to come up for the ball or are we happy to see hooker bypassed and ball given to next player?
    Last edited by Decorily; 11-03-19 at 12:03.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post

didds
    The 'Long Reach' to which a few have referred only pertains to the initial set up.

By way of back ground, a few years back it was normal for the catcher in the line out to pass the ball all the way back to the hindmost man - usually the #2 - in the maul. This would bypass both the supporters/lifters and the other line out players. i was argued - quite rightly (by FFR IIRC) - that this action was illegal since the the support players were creating a block for the defenders and so were offside.
    After consideration WR deemed that this action was indeed illegal and required that the ball be passed back from player to player. It was also the time that they clarified about the 'slipping back' on the driving maul and reiterated that all joining players must bind on behind the ball carrier (although I notice that in recent Internationals and Premiership matches that this is not really being penalised)

Hope this all helps?
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW I concur entirely with decorily and becket50

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    The 'Long Reach' to which a few have referred only pertains to the initial set up.

By way of back ground, a few years back it was normal for the catcher in the line out to pass the ball all the way back to the hindmost man - usually the #2 - in the maul. This would bypass both the supporters/lifters and the other line out players. i was argued - quite rightly (by FFR IIRC) - that this action was illegal since the the support players were creating a block for the defenders and so were offside.
    After consideration WR deemed that this action was indeed illegal and required that the ball be passed back from player to player. It was also the time that they clarified about the 'slipping back' on the driving maul and reiterated that all joining players must bind on behind the ball carrier (although I notice that in recent Internationals and Premiership matches that this is not really being penalised)

Hope this all helps?
    To be totally correct they can bind on alongside (having come form that onside position) so long as they have bound on to that hindmost player.

Definitely agree with the view we are seeing more and more of this this is not being policed at the higher levels and they are bypassing that hindmost player and binding on to anyone else but that player if it suits the direction of the drive or the defending of the maul.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    They are probably bound in to the maul by other players.
    Exactly. Players in the maul can be "caught in" I think the wording is, rather than bind onto the maul itself.

If EVERY player in the maul had to be bound in, then the BC himself couldn't legally be part of the maul because he's too busy trying to keep possession of the ball.

Sorry gents, but I think thread is in danger of confusing the hell out of a Ref starting out.

Thread Information