Thread: Knock-on into in-goal

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Knock-on into in-goal

In a world cup year no changes are to be made to the laws. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2020. I'm thinking this will be addressed.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    In a world cup year no changes are to be made to the laws. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2020. I'm thinking this will be addressed.
    well, that's a different topic - but thy made a number of changes in 2019 Book, some highlighted, some not.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    That last statement is the nub of it

On the face of it , it's a 22m DO

You think they have gained no advantage, but that's only because you have decided not to give them the 22mDO

Other posters (even on this thread) argue that far from gaining no advantage, they have somehow gained TOO MUCH advantage , and that is why they should be denied the drop out
    Its too much because it is after the ball is dead that the advantage would accrue. If they scoop the ball up and run 105 m to score, the advantage is gain after 10-15 m and we don't have to blow our whistle and we play on.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If a team is getting mullered in the scrums, to give them a 5M scrum defending scrum is not advantage. I would normally look for advantage in these scenarios and if defending team was getting hammered and the result didn't matter, I'd be inclined to give a 22 drop out. Empathy!
    Here's a scenario Red attacking but knock the ball forward into in goal. Blue pick it up and pass to another player and I call advantage over. Second blue player then dots it down before crossing out of in goal.
    I can now legally and morally call a 22 with no arguments from anyone as blue has gained tactical advantage. Simples!
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    !
    Here's a scenario Red attacking but knock the ball forward into in goal. Blue pick it up and pass to another player and I call advantage over. Second blue player then dots it down before crossing out of in goal.
    I can now legally and morally call a 22 with no arguments from anyone as blue has gained tactical advantage. Simples!
    Good scenario.. I usually make it a kick that is the trigger for advantage over but a pass is a good alternative...

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    If a team is getting mullered in the scrums, to give them a 5M scrum defending scrum is not advantage. I would normally look for advantage in these scenarios and if defending team was getting hammered and the result didn't matter, I'd be inclined to give a 22 drop out. Empathy!

Wrong
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Good scenario.. I usually make it a kick that is the trigger for advantage over but a pass is a good alternative...
    Your supporting argument that the blue team has gained a real advantage just because they have completed a single pass is misguided and, in this case, simply wrong.

This whole argument that has now entered (probably) its second year is perpetrated by members on this forum who simply do not understand how the concept of advantage works.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    The point is that the attacking team commit a technical offence and defenders touch down -> defensive scrum five
    Attacking team play well but defenders touch down -> 22DO

The attackers relatively benefit from knocking on.
    Of course, the flip side is that the defenders are rewarded more for stopping a competent, valid attack, than for making the ball dead when they had advantage anyway.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    Your supporting argument that the blue team has gained a real advantage just because they have completed a single pass is misguided and, in this case, simply wrong.

This whole argument that has now entered (probably) its second year is perpetrated by members on this forum who simply do not understand how the concept of advantage works.
    A pass isn't the crux of my argument ,that's just one scenario

I like a kick scenario as we all agree that advantage is over when it is freely kicked away ..

But a touchdown works as well .

If cast aside all preconceptions, and simply follow the Law Book you will find my argument

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The 'mullered in the scrum' post brings to mind a recent thread about teams asking to play, or not play, advantage.

If a captain came up to you during the game and said "ref, we're getting mullered in the scrums. If they infringe, can you call advantage over if we've got any possession so we don't have to scrummage?" would you still go for the 5m scrum in this case, or call AO as soon as the defending player in in goal collected the ball?

And if you wouldn't call AO in this case, would you also no call it if the same thing happened on half way (i.e. the non-infringing team took possession 10m back from the infringement)?

Thread Information