Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRE v FRA: to card or not to card?

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default IRE v FRA: to card or not to card?

It was an eventful game alright, so I'd like to put another discussion point on yesterday's game out there.

I don't have a time on the game, it was near the end of the first half, but I think with my description you won't need highlights if you didn't see the game.

France had been killing Irish ball in their own 22 repeatedly and the ref gave their captain the team warning and told him to tell them. A couple of phases later, just inside the French 22, Ireland have set up a ruck. A French player was slowly walking back to get on his side but found himself just outside of the Irish 9-10 channel, so he stopped moving.

The Irish scrum half saw this and threw the ball at him, in my opinion to milk the yellow card that France had just been warned about. The ref gave just the penalty but no card, I didn't hear what he said since it wasn't clear on the french tv broadcast I was watching.

For what it's worth, I agreed with the ref. Despite the team warning they were on, in my opinion you simply don't try to force the ref into giving a card by such a blatant action.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: IRE v FRA: to card or not to card?

Didn't see it, but personally I can't see me ever issuing a milked card like that, same with my tolerance for players appealing for cards. If it's a pen technically then a pen is best you'll get.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Haven't seen the game, but from your description it does sound as if the Irish #9 was trying to force the issue with the referee. One could argue the French player could have crouched down, got on the deck or simply taken a few steps further back to ensure he was out of the channel.

However, on the basis of Equity the PK was the correct call and no YC.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Rugby Club Member Northamptonian's Avatar

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I thought he got the decision spot on under the circumstances. It was a contrived move by Murray, and it wasn't great to see 4 Irish players around the referee immediately afterwards. The French player wasn't being cynical, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Northamptonian View Post
    I thought he got the decision spot on under the circumstances. It was a contrived move by Murray, and it wasn't great to see 4 Irish players around the referee immediately afterwards. The French player wasn't being cynical, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I agree with this. Although a warning had been issued about offending, it related to several maul and ruck penalties near the line. yes there was a French lazy runner in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I did not view it as cynical or deliberate. The Irish SH did deliberately throw at him to milk a penalty, however the ref would have been well within his rights to blow for offside anyway as the Fresh player was clearly interfering and took a really poor route back to his defensive line.

Overall I though this was refereed very well.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Must say I don't like players doing this to contrive a card, it's a bit like footballers waving imaginary cards at the ref after a foul encouraging a real card. France should have had a yellow specifically on their tight head who repeatedly infringed close to the goal line but in this case I think Murray was being a bit flippent.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Kent
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I thought the ref got it correct, as well. The French player got up off the ground - actually looking a little groggy - and started wandering back towards his off side line. After maybe only a step, or even half a step he realised that he was about to walk into the 9-10 channel and took half step back trying to keep out of the way, at which point Murray fired the ball into his chest when many (all?) potential Green receivers were not obstructed by Blue's position.

If it happened at my level, I might consider just shouting play on....

That said, I though France rather lucky to survive until 67 mins before they received a YC...

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Overall I though this was refereed very well.
    I thought the ref looked out fo his depth. Surely far too many PKs in the red zone before the eventual YC?

didds

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I thought the ref looked out fo his depth. Surely far too many PKs in the red zone before the eventual YC?

didds
    Just shows how people see things differently, overall I though he had a good game. I really liked his exceptionally calm approach to everything, I think this had an overall impact on the game, where there were few flashpoints or handbag incidents.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Murray had previous doing this. I don't like it - it smack of trying to get a soft penalty or player carded. I have seen one ref a year or so ago decline the penalty as he felt it was deliberate by the 9 and then give the scrum put in to the opposition (probably a bit too much) on the basis of being the last team to play the ball.

Thread Information