Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Wales vs England - Liam Williams going to ground to avoid tackle

Hi all,

I tried to see if there were any threads already discussing this but couldn't see one. I was rewatching Wales vs England and in the 32nd minute England kick the ball through, Liam Williams retrieves the ball on his feet, then proceeds to go to ground after looking and seeing Owen Farrell bearing down on him. Farrell then puts his hands on him and basically acts as if a ruck as formed, trying to poach the ball on his feet.

Liam Williams looks to complain that Farrell hasn't let him get up, which we all know isn't in the laws. The law states that a player on their feet must not fall on a player with the ball on the ground, which I don't really think Farrell did, but I might be wrong here.

What I'm actually wondering is, is Liam Williams within his rights to go to ground after gathering the ball, effectively to avoid a tackle?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wales vs England - Liam Williams going to ground to avoid tackle

Quote Originally Posted by antoknee3 View Post
    What I'm actually wondering is, is Liam Williams within his rights to go to ground after gathering the ball, effectively to avoid a tackle?
    Yes he can go to ground, but he can't prevent the arriving player from playing the ball and must release it. So he would be better off staying on his feet and waiting for support.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    OXON
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

How many time did you hear, he didnt let him get up.... from players /coach or sideline....

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The game is to be played ONLY by players on their feet

There is no sanction for voluntarily going to ground, but once you have done so you are out of the game and must release the ball

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by belhysys View Post
    How many time did you hear, he didnt let him get up.... from players /coach or sideline....
    I didn't hear, so a little bit of an educated guess, but he was clearly protesting to the referee as Farrell tackled him and after the referee blew for the penalty, and I can't see what else he would have been complaining about.

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    The game is to be played ONLY by players on their feet

There is no sanction for voluntarily going to ground, but once you have done so you are out of the game and must release the ball
    Thanks, this is what I thought as well, so in that train of thought, he didn't release the ball immediately, then Farrell arrived and tackled him, so he should have released the ball at that point.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Complication .. Farrell can't jump on him or tackle him .. but he can try and get the ball off him

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Not entirely sure what the many references to 'tackling' the player on the ground mean!

A player on the ground clearly can't be tackled.
    A player on their feet is entitled to take the ball but just putting hands on the player on the ground is not good enough to 'buy' a penalty!

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Agreed, they must go for the ball.. unless the player on the ground is lying over it. The last thing the other player wants is to wait for a whistle that never comes from a referee judging "no contest, so not material".

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thread Information