Thread: Wales vs England - Liam Williams going to ground to avoid tackle

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wales vs England - Liam Williams going to ground to avoid tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie View Post
    First offence - as per Menace post#24

(Thanks to Didds for the video link - Did folks notice just how long Peyper spent looking at the AR for confirmation on this rather than watching the breakdown unfold....!)
    No, but I can imagine why, very hard for your attention not to be drawn to someone who is speaking to you. You naturally look over to the speaker rather than say focus on the ball.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    No, but I can imagine why, very hard for your attention not to be drawn to someone who is speaking to you. You naturally look over to the speaker rather than say focus on the ball.
    Very good point.

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    He now has to do one of 3 things ...BUT before he can Farrell materially FIRST flops on him while he's on the ground (before getting to his feet again)
    He does not; Farrell ends up on his knees (on the grass not on Williams) and then pushes Williams (the ball carrier) as he tries to get up; Farrell then gets to his feet and goes for the ball

maybe he shouldn't have pushed him while he was on his knees, but he did not "flop on him"

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    - effectively preventing Willams from doing anything "immediately" and breaching
    Williams very immediately appealed - verbally and with his arm, so I think he could have done one of his options, such as release the ball ;-)

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Williams certainly had enough time to get onto his knees and hold the ball under his body. I think that Farrell had rights to the ball that were denied by Williams so I would not have been surprised for the PK to go the other way.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Another thing to consider maybe?

Farrell's initial shove isn't a tackle as no attempt is made to bind with the arm.

Then we have Williams attempting to get up, but still in his knees, and held by Farrell. Must he not at some point - as a tackler - release?

I think he tried to con the ref that his shove was a tackle by waving his arms as if to say look, I've released - but there was no bind.

And once AWJ joins the breakdown (almost immediately) and turns it into a ruck, and Farrell's hands are not yet on the ball, hecan no longer play it

It's a hard game to ref sometimes, isn't it???
    Last edited by belladonna; 6 Days Ago at 09:03.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Kent
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    When I am on the sofa, this appears to be one of my key skills..... according to Mrs. W.

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post

hence this site

Just some observations in response:

Farrell's initial shove isn't a tackle as no attempt is made to bind with the arm.
    you don't need to bind to tackle

Then we have Williams attempting to get up, but still in his knees, and held by Farrell. Must he not at some point - as a tackler - release?
    If it was a tackle yes, and he does release

And once AWJ joins the breakdown (almost immediately) and turns it into a ruck, and Farrell's hands are not yet on the ball, he can no longer play it
    red 10 (not AWJ) joins from the wrong side to engage Farrell; is it a ruck? Williams refuse to let go of it; he holds it in contact with the ground at one point but is Farrell not allowed to keep going for the the ball if the man on the ground will not release?

oh yes!

Thread Information