Thread: Handbags at Dawn

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Handbags at Dawn

Hello, newbie poster here, and also a newbie ref as I'm in my first season. Only 7 games under my belt at the moment as an ankle sprain in November severely limited my match time.

Anyway, I'm enjoying my refereeing for the most part, but had a tricky match a few weeks ago when the side on the end of a hiding started playing up. At one stage I had the ball on the 10m line with green attacking whilst a player from each side started engaging in handbags on red's 5m line. I stopped play and awarded a scrum to green on the 10m line as nothing worth a penalty had gone on in my view. As I don't have any eyes in the back of my head the question is whether I should always stop play when something untoward is going on and if so how and where to restart? My worry was that if I let play continue then I couldn't watch both the play and the handbags simultaneously and player safety was a concern if the handbags escalated.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Handbags at Dawn

Hello and Welcome,
    seems to me you handled it just perfectly!
    You're right about not having eyes in the back of your head and if you didn’t see something to penalise then don't make it up.
    If you do encounter a situation that warrants a card (or 2) then issue them and in my opinion you can still return and restart play with a scrum.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A wise old ref once told me that if , depending on what you saw, there was a good reason to award a PK to the defending team, then this provides enough time for everyone to calm down.

Especially attractive if the players fighting were props .. and a scrum is unlikely to be a calming experience

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

From your description, it sounds like you handled it well.

The only thing to think about is that if it is two FRs handbagging, then a scrum may not be your best option as it puts them in close proximity for the next two minutes or so. You either take your time to talk them down before setting the scrum, or find the defensive PK.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post

The only thing to think about is that if it is two FRs handbagging, then a scrum may not be your best option as it puts them in close proximity for the next two minutes or so. You either take your time to talk them down before setting the scrum, or find the defensive PK.
    True.....

But maybe a scrum is exactly what you need..just as the 9 is about to move the ball
    "Peep....knees on the floor we'll go again"
    After four resets the props should have burned off the 'fight'!
    Not recommended if you are being assessed! !

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If there is handbags I will invariably blow time off, call captains over, give them the "this been a clean game, let's not let it deteriorate now or you will limit my options, please talk to your players" speech and get on with it.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hi northampton
    I would take age into consideration .

If youth match ,,kids have lots of stuff going on with their body motabilism.
    And they can be all over the place .
    So i would suggest .
    1st sign of not quite hand bags , providing safe to do so , wait untill next stopage .
    Call in both offending players ( dont worry about which 1 started same ).
    Lads just so you know , i saw what happened earlier ,,i strongly advise you both leave it off the pitch .
    Respect rugby values & respect each others as players.
    Tell them if it continues , you may both end up leaving the field ..

They will both either say ,,who me ref .
    Or they may say ,,the other 1 started it .
    ( but they would now both of got your message ).

Dont look for them to offend again ,,try & let game flow .
    If it happens again ( and you saw what happened )
    Penalise player , offer penalty & see if they settle down ..

If stuff goes on behind you .
    And the ball is going other way .
    Might sound harsh , but im reffing the lads who are playing rugby .
    And dont concern my self with what others are doing ..

If you can stop it , before it even gets to hand bags .
    It may help .

If it gets serious , start taking shirt nrs & detail same .
    Youll know if its a red or yellow .
    What happens after match & after your ( red card sanctions ) once you have reported same .
    Is not something you need to worry about ..

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Your approach sounds fine to me.

Sometimes despite seeing the handbag incident in full, there is not obvious single aggressor, and if no punches are thrown you might not feel any penalty is appropriate. I think your decision to stop the game is correct, if you just let this go on it could escalate with other player joining in.

As noted by others I would speak to both captains highlighting the behaviour is unacceptable, with a reference to further sanctions if there is a repeat. Let's everyone know you saw it, gives time to calm down, makes your point further incidents may have more serious repercussions, and you restart as you did with a scrum to the team in possession when you blew up.

For your 7th game sounds like a very mature and experienced way of handling things, well done.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well done!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Northamptonian.

Sounds like you handled it very well.

I had something similar last weekend. I was playing advantage for a high tackle (maybe I shouldn't have but it was only a "seatbelt" type and I'd shouted I'd seen it as a bit of a preventative) and player makes a clean break. I follow play about 50metres and I'm aware of an altercation back on half way. We play on and Blue score. By the time I'm able to concentrate on the fracas I can see it's fizzled out Red coach tells me of a blue player hitting one of theirs "about 8 times" - as he would.

Anyway - should you stop play? Dunno?

Lower level in a previously niggly game probably.

Kids - I wouldn't have played advantage for the initial tackle - so it may not happen anyway.

To conclude the episode in my game. Time off before conversion. Both Captains told to sort their teams because if they don't blah blah (as described by other above). No further issues.

As an aside my lad started refereeing in Northampton. He was in EMRURS and I went to watch him at BBOB, Scouts, ONs etc a few times.

Good Luck with the refereeing you sound well able to cope on what was described above. Keep it up.
    Along came Lou with old baboon and said I recognise that smell. That smells like seven layers. That beaver eats Taco Bell....- Claypool, LaLonde & Alexander 1995

Thread Information