Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is this forward pass

It's hard to define a clear red line in wind based scenarios.

I think that if a stationary player throws a pass that is caught in front of him, in practice it will be hard to play on

In real-life , luckily , players are moving the wind is howling and nothing is quite so clear and obvious ..

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    What if its not an unintentional thrown forward, but a backward or flat pass (from the arms, and that's the determining factor in Law) that goes forward due to wind or a weird bounce to players in a pod in front of the original passer?

Were they in front of the passer when the ball was thrown? If so, they are in front of a team mate who last played the ball so technically they are offside
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    so just to be clear - if the pass was made directly backwards over a player's head, but the wind carried it forwards to a position in front of him - you would call that a forward pass?

didds
    If the ball is not thrown towards the opposition's DBL (i.e. the direction of the ball as it leaves the hands of the passer) then it is not a forward pass
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

But the catcher may be offside

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    If the ball is not thrown towards the opposition's DBL (i.e. the direction of the ball as it leaves the hands of the passer) then it is not a forward pass
    and Id agree with you :-)

ThePercy however said

What if its not an unintentional thrown forward, but a backward or flat pass (from the arms, and that's the determining factor in Law) that goes forward due to wind or a weird bounce to players in a pod in front of the original passer?

I would call the OP pass forward, and blow the whistle.
    apologies - i should have made my attribution clearer.

didds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    and Id agree with you :-)

ThePercy however said

apologies - i should have made my attribution clearer.

didds
    See my previous response to ThePercy's post.
    His scenario has two things to consider, (a) the legality of the pass and (b) the location of team mate who receives the ball.
    ThePercy ties them together as if it is only the outcome of the pass that needs scrutiny by the referee when in fact the sequence for the referee's thought process is that the ball left the passer's hands not towards the opposition's DBL so it's play on (the ref would be best to communicate this decision in a loud voice whilst on the run) but now the ref has a pod of players, one of which presumably plays the ball, who are in an offside position when the ball was thrown so the ref must now assess this situation.

It would be the same if the original passer (let's call him the #9), instead of passing, had dropped the ball backwards and that odd shaped thing called a rugby ball bounced and then went to a player standing in front of #9.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Assuming the catcher starts in front of the passer for both scenarios. If a legally backward pass goes forward through momentum/wind/odd bounce, then PK for offside. If the pass is unintentionally forward, then Scrum.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Assuming the catcher starts in front of the passer for both scenarios. If a legally backward pass goes forward through momentum/wind/odd bounce, then PK for offside. If the pass is unintentionally forward, then Scrum.
    what if the catcher is level with the #9 when the pass is made, and takes two steps forward to catch it...
    ..or if he's running... and is behind the #9 when the pass is thrown, but catches the ball way in front of the back foot.

obviously you are going to say 'play on' but do you think you'd have problems selling that decision? In practice?

Thread Information