Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 6 Nations review.

How long does Eliot Daly have in him?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

There's a name I sort of thought about to be fair. But I'm not convinced captaining from full back "works". But that to be fair again is just my own un-defendable in built bias.

didds

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm still not convinced he should be on the pitch to be honest, thought he was poor defensively and particularly 'wow' in attack, seems others see something in him though.

Realistically Farrell is the best placed and most experienced regular, but can't shoulder all that responsibility himself (has his own issues to deal with still too), so if we're doing co-captains then maybe someone like Wilson, or Itjoe to shoulder some of that. Or in the case of Saturday give the whole squad a 'wake the #### up' 20 minutes in to the second half!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Or in the case of Saturday give the whole squad a 'wake the #### up' 20 minutes in to the second half!
    quite.

which comes down to EJ, or assistant coaches surely?

didds

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    There's a name I sort of thought about to be fair. But I'm not convinced captaining from full back "works". But that to be fair again is just my own un-defendable in built bias.

didds
    Gavin Hastings? Andy Irvine? Tom Kiernan? Percy Montgomery?

It isn't the position, it's whether the skipper can actually...lead
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Speaking as a back (long retired), however frustrating at the time, at some point you need the pack leader to take charge and decided that for the next 10 minutes this ball is going nowhere. Farrell is an outstanding fly half but I don’t see anyone in the pack with equivalent gravitas and that doesn’t make for good decision making. Whilst watching England in full flow is fabulous, poor decision making has been a factor for some time now. I see lots of talented athletes who can express themselves when required but I see few rugby players who can adapt. The great sides have obvious leaders and I don’t see anyone who is better than primus inter pares in the current England team

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    Speaking as a back (long retired), however frustrating at the time, at some point you need the pack leader to take charge and decided that for the next 10 minutes this ball is going nowhere. Farrell is an outstanding fly half but I don’t see anyone in the pack with equivalent gravitas and that doesn’t make for good decision making. Whilst watching England in full flow is fabulous, poor decision making has been a factor for some time now. I see lots of talented athletes who can express themselves when required but I see few rugby players who can adapt. The great sides have obvious leaders and I don’t see anyone who is better than primus inter pares in the current England team
    Martin Johnson. World Cup. Taking it on the extra few yards to make sure that Wilkinson was close enough. Leadership.
    Marcus Aurelius

Arthur Schopenhauer

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    quite.

which comes down to EJ, or assistant coaches surely?

didds
    To a point yes, but there was a thread elsewhere (possibly rugbypass) talking about the lack of leaders we have on pitch, not just captains, but senior players who work as that leadership team - we don't have that, and it's needed, because if the captain is having an off game then someone needs to step in

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The problem, I am hearing, with England seems to be that Farrell is going "AWOL" for periods in a lot of games. His temperament is doubtful and, fine player he maybe (when on song), he is prone to "losing the plot both discipline and ability wise. Compare to MJ who seemed to be very like Alan-Wyn, a player who consistently is is "up there". England need a captain who is "Mr Reliable". Surely amongst the many players at Eddie's disposal there must be a more reliable option than OF.

A fully firing England will be the best bet amongst the NH countries to rest the trophy away from the All Blacks.But they need to "man up" when the challenge comes on.

Wales will man up but I'm not sure they have the game plan to trouble the All Blacks.

Ireland may have peaked a year to early.

The other NH sides can, I feel, be discounted come Japan.

But time will tell.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Martin Johnson. World Cup. Taking it on the extra few yards to make sure that Wilkinson was close enough. Leadership.
    My (imperfect) memory says it was because Dawson was stuck in the ruck so it was necessary to free him first. However I certainly agree about Johnson's captaincy.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Thread Information