Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Italy/France

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Italy/France

Am a little confused with the slaping of the ball as there was an incident in a Bath game late last year where a Bath player was busy playing to the crowd instead of grounding the ball and a defender slapped his hand which caused Bath to drop the ball forward for a 5 metre scrum, I remember the commentator saying if the defender had slapped the ball that would have been illegal. Is it that France attempted a tackle that happened to slap the ball out of Italy's hands?

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by nhughes View Post
    Am a little confused with the slapping of the ball as there was an incident in a Bath game late last year where a Bath player was busy playing to the crowd instead of grounding the ball and a defender slapped his hand which caused Bath to drop the ball forward for a 5 metre scrum ...
    A ball carrier (BC) can lose possession or he can have possession taken from him. Eg if the BC lost the ball forward that's a knock on. If on the other hand the defender slaps the ball and the ball goes forward from the BC then it's play on. It's the same where a BC is held and the ball is ripped from him; the ball may have gone forward from the original ball carrier, but it's not considered a knock on. Makes sense?

Am a little confused with the slapping of the ball ... I remember the commentator saying if the defender had slapped the ball that would have been illegal.
    Just because a commentator or pundit says something, for the sake of your own sanity please don't take it as gospel.
    Last edited by Taff; 21-03-19 at 15:03.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

If the ball is slapped/punched directly by an opponent that is not an offence in and of itself. But there are complications . . . .

If the ball then goes in the direction of the opponent's goal then it would be a knock-on charged to the tackler. If the ball goes directly into touch/touch-in-goal or over the dead ball line then the puncher could be charged with playing the ball by hand/arm off the playing area. That wouldn't be my choice but we've seen it.

If the tackler strikes the arm of the ball carrier then the BC is resposible for the direction of the ball.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

Clarification 1, 2014:

Clarification of the designated members of the Rugby Committee
    If a player in tackling an opponent makes contact with the ball and the ball goes forward from the ball carriers hands, that is a knock on.

If a player rips the ball or deliberately knocks the ball from an opponent's hands and the ball goes forward from the ball carrier's hands, that is not a knock on.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Clarification 1, 2014:

[B]
    Well that's as clear as mud. We have to differentiate between incidental contact making the ball go forward (knock on) and a deliberate contact making the ball go forward which is not a knock on, all during the complex tackle area.

At least at my level I don't have replays (apart from my gopro which I can edit all my mistakes out of before publishing on youtube!)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Here's the clip I was on about, knocked on and then kicked out by the defender. Definitely not the clearest of instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxU-Af4FuDg

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    ... At least at my level I don't have replays (apart from my gopro which I can edit all my mistakes out of before publishing on youtube!)
    Sorry this isn't strictly relevant to the thread but just a friendly word of warning Zebra.

We were sent an e-mail telling us that we were not to wear GoPros. In fact, I'm pretty sure the e-mail mentioned there could be insurance issues; and you don't want to find yourself uninsured if there was an incident.

Here's the clip I was on about, knocked on and then kicked out by the defender. Definitely not the clearest of instructions.
    For what it's worth this is what I think. If Red had deliberately slapped the ball out of Blacks hands and over the DBL, then that could be a penalty offence because a player is not allowed to slap the ball out of play. In your clip, I think he tapped the players arm (not the ball) and the BC lost possession ie it's a knock on. I can't remember what the decision was on the day.
    Last edited by Taff; 21-03-19 at 22:03.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

You don't have to wear a Go Pro. You can set them up on the sideline with a tracker
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

for me, that is a loose carry as opposed to defender ripping the ball free. Knock on.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

If I remember correctly the decision was a 5 metre scrum for a knock on

Thread Information