Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Post Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Dublin today.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Thanks for the link - very highly recommended!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Some great topics and insight in that interview. Thanks for posting it.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of refereeing at the Bingham Cup and I can honestly say it was the most enjoyable competition I have ever been involved in...and one of the biggest.

Rugby's inclusiveness (in all areas) is one of its great strengths.

http://igrugby.org/binghamcup.htm

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Does he mention allowing people to play in headscarves ?

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Shouldn’t really comment on this discussion if you haven’t taken the time to watch the 17minutes clip.

I don’t have figures for other Unions, but here are some IRFu stats.
    Of 194,347 registered players in Ireland, last season only 4,339 were women. Only 1, as far as I am aware requested wearing a headscarf. Details here. No one had any problem with her wearing a WR approved headscarf. So religious intolerance isn’t a thing in Irish rugby, for historic reasons.

So perhaps instead of angels on pinheads scenarios, we might stick to real issues. The need for tolerance in Rugby and how best to weed out the tiny minority who taunt people like Simon Zebo when he plays in Ireland. Racial and LGBT concerns were the focus of his chat.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 10-04-19 at 11:04.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think it’s a real shame that there is a need for LGBT clubs due to a lack of inclusion (or exclusi I) of the LTBT community from rugby clubs. Nigel is right, it is a minority that cause trouble and make LGBT people feel unwelcome, but t they need to be weeded out. By all means have LGBT clubs if you want to play with your LGBT friends, but we shouldn’t have them as LGBT players are discouraged from being members of rugby clubs, which is unfortunately still the case in 2019.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Rugby is a sport where there is a tradition of clubs formed around a common identity outside of rugby

Commonly nationality (London Irish , Scottish etc)
    Or work (law society, civil service, Police)
    Or school or college (old Pauline's etc)
    And no doubt there are other examples

So an LGBT oriented club is right bang in this rugby tradition.

Another part of the tradition is not being stupid about about .. and all clubs should be inclusive now.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Nigel’s point exactly, that minorities should feel welcome in any club they choose. LGBT clubs are a regular thing in larger cities here in France. And then maybe only at a particular University. But what if you are underage, or live in the sticks, surely one should feel free to join the local Rugby club.

Unfortunately the head scarf is probably a poor example of such fraternity.
    Immigration in France is quite different to that in the UK; although there are some parallels, such as former colonies being a source of immigrants. Here in France, country proud of its secular values, it isn’t possible to gather statistics about how many FFR members are muslim. The apparent religious tolerance, is in reality a thin veneer covering a multitude of woes.

A recent example: Decathlon cancels *sports hijab sale in France

*Called “hijab de running} over here. By not allowing girls to wear one, there is the possibility they not be allowed take part in sport by their parents. Suggesting the parents are intolerant, is missing the crux of the matter; the resulting polarization of communities. Diversity should be seen as a strength.

Funny it should be an issue for French citizens of Middel Eastern or Northe African origin. Photos of the recent womens sevens, show none of the Lebanese women’s team wore haed scarves. Only one of the Jordanian squad did. Not one of the Syrian team had one on. If Qutar have a purple coloured kit, then thay don’t appear to use head scarves either. Worth a browse, on the subject of tolerance in rugby at this very moment.

Intolerance is perhaps a growing problem in occidental countries only. Fear of those who are different being the likely cause.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 10-04-19 at 12:04.
    John Henry Newman

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Crossref raises a good point, common identity has historically been a very significant driver in the formation of many teams and clubs. Whilst not being blind to prejudice it is worth noting that that the existence of LGBT teams may not necessarily indicate intolerance in the wider game rather it may allow individuals to feel confident enough to participate in a sport they may otherwise be apprehensive about. Whilst there are always exceptions I have always felt that overall rugby was pretty inclusive and largely avoids ill-informed prejudice. However if players feel more confident in LGBT teams then that great but I’m confident that they would find the same camaraderie in other Clubs also

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It also should work both ways. You don't have to be Welsh to join London Welsh. I imagine you don't have to be LBGT to join your local club .. if that is the tradition of your local club

Thread Information