Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Quite possibly.. and now that they are more woke, naturally they will call for the name to change

In terms of organised Groups that call themselves Crusaders, seemingly oblivious of the connotations of religiously motivated warfare, we have found just one so far, (that Liberian NGO)
    I wanna be woke too. I've been oblivious . Come on Crossref, ease up on the blue pill. Not everyone will think in line with me or you, we just have to figure why this happens. You'll find each individual brain develops its own thought. Trying to sway each brain with a blue pill is no better or worse than calling your team the crusaders. Respect ignorance on both sides and understand why it occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    earthquakes, mass shootings, self-flagelation ... I'm glad I don't live in Christchurch. Is the wizard still around?
    there was just one mass shooting, right?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post

there was just one mass shooting, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...sque_shootings
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Quite possibly.. and now that they are more woke, naturally they will call for the name to change

In terms of organised Groups that call themselves Crusaders, seemingly oblivious of the connotations of religiously motivated warfare, we have found just one so far, (that Liberian NGO)
    Tunnel vision.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Cryptic Statement

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    I wanna be woke too. I've been oblivious ...
    Then you already know what to do.
    You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.
    Nothing less.

Remember Red pill = Reality
    Blue pill = Illusion
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 13-06-19 at 17:06.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For those among us who believe that the right to express one's religious views should trump one's responsibility to follow one's employers rules of emplyment, tell us all what your thoughts are about this one, and how what this Sheriff did is any different to what Folau did.

WARNING: The stories and video contain offensive language.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/06/...utions-sermon/

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/DA-...511197261.html
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 15-06-19 at 07:06.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    For those among us who believe that the right to express one's religious views should trump one's responsibility to follow one's employers rules of emplyment,
    this is one of the elements currently being examined by Fair Work Australia.

Even if an employer clearly states a requirement of employment in a contract and an employer signs it, is it valid to enforce that requirement?

I run a businees and our biggest customer is Cachet Windows. To show my support, I put a clearly worded clause in my employment contracts that employees must only buy their windows from Cachet. I hire an employee who, without duress, signs his contract. Bugger me, but he's not been in the job a year and he buys his new double glazed conservatory from Cachet's competitor, W-Windows. Not only that, he's boasting on social media about how good it is.

To sack or not to sack?

I'm a nice guy so I give him a second chance.

But then Cachet gets wind of the media posts and demands that I sack him or they'll cancel their business with me.

Mindful of the Golden Rule, I sack him.

All good?
    Last edited by Dickie E; 15-06-19 at 22:06.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    this is one of the elements currently being examined by Fair Work Australia.

Even if an employer clearly states a requirement of employment in a contract and an employer signs it, is it valid to enforce that requirement?

I run a businees and our biggest customer is Cachet Windows. To show my support, I put a clearly worded clause in my employment contracts that employees must only buy their windows from Cachet. I hire an employee who, without duress, signs his contract. Bugger me, but he's not been in the job a year and he buys his new double glazed conservatory from Cachet's competitor, W-Windows. Not only that, he's boasting on social media about how good it is.

To sack or not to sack?

I'm a nice guy so I give him a second chance.

But then Cachet gets wind of the media posts and demands that I sack him or they'll cancel their business with me.

Mindful of the Golden Rule, I sack him.

All good?
    Yep, all good

1. You have a condition in your contract

2. The employee violated that condition

This is a rightful dismissal, so long as the the contract clause was legal. It may not be legal to have a commercial limitation clause in your contract.... can McDonalds have a clause in their employment contract that only allows employees to buy Big Mac burgers - I don't think so!

What I would have done after Cachet threatened you was go to W-Windows and offer for them to replace Cachet Windows as your exclusive stockline - you already have an employee singing their praises.

Now, while your scenario is an interesting theoretical exercise, it does not compare at all with the Folau or Jackson scenarios. Your scenario is about your commercial decision making, not about what is acceptable public behaviour by an employee. Let me rephrase your scenario in that light....

I run a business that is part of a well-known, nationwide franchise. I employ a number of men and women. In accordance with common practice, I put a clearly worded anti-bullying, anti sexual harassment clause in my employment contracts. I hire an employee who, without duress, signs his contract. Bugger me, but he's not been in the job a year and he starts harassing and bullying a female member of staff. Not only that, he's boasting on social media about it.

To sack or not to sack?

I'm a nice guy so, in consultation with the victim, and with her agreement, I give him a second chance.

But then the head office of the franchise gets wind of the media posts and demands that I sack him or they will terminate my franchisee contract.

I sack him.

All good?
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 16-06-19 at 00:06.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ian, in your scenario the misdemeanor relates to the employment relationship. IF's (arguably) doesn't. Watch this space.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Some press reports are suggesting that this will turn on whether he quoted from the bible (ok) or added his own words / interpretation (not Ok)
    That would be entertaining , as we would then need theologians as expert witnesses to judge whether IF post was a plausible translation of the original texts (in Greek?)

Thread Information