Thread: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Given it was only the first of 200 planned
    Please note: additional dates/locations/ times will be added up until 20 December 2019 – the conclusion of the six-month amnesty period.
    I am guessing, once the 6 month amnesty ends, some of those reluctant gun owners will be in possession of illegal firearms and then the police can use tougher tactics. What business civilians have buying military-style weapons is beyond me.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 18-07-19 at 20:07.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A theologian writes (I think pretty irrelevantly really)
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/did-...17-p5281z.html

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Given it was only the first of 200 planned
    I am guessing, once the 6 month amnesty ends, some of those reluctant gun owners will be in possession of illegal firearms and then the police can use tougher tactics. What business civilians have buying military-style weapons is beyond me.
    Do you think they will be using RSP?

You are catching on LRL, tougher tactics, when will the police tactics have gone to far? And who will decide on the tougher tactics, and what form on force will they be using? Goon squad, perhaps.

I give you a hint. Ironically, the police will have guns to take away the guns.
    Last edited by Not Kurt Weaver; 19-07-19 at 01:07.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    A theologian writes (I think pretty irrelevantly really)
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/did-...17-p5281z.html
    Duh, this may come as a revelation, but IF is not an expert in theology. He may think he is. Giving him any credibility in theology or any authority in his tweets really isn't his problem. It is the readers problem. He is a rugby player for Christ's sake.

The Bible has been through translations, you also have to consider when it is written and the context is may have been written under. It is not precise and updated annually like the infalible rugby law book which has remained steadfast throughout.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    How's the gun back going Ian?, Did you get full price?

224 bought back according to the new Mega store:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rn-new-zealand
    Its going very well... better than expected in fact.

Perhaps you need to update your "facts". Understand that what I am about to post is from before the first buyback event.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12246561

If you don't want to bother reading the article, here are the highlights (and keep in mind when you read the figures that this is a country of about 4.8 million people, so about the same as Alabama or Louisiana)

• 1300 unlawful guns have been seized since March, many from gangs and people without firearms licences.
    • 250 collection events will happen over the next three months
    • 840 firearms had already been handed to police
    • 8000 firearms have been declared for return by their owners via online forms
    • 3000 firearms that will get no compensation have been marked for collection.

So before these two buyback events, the Police had seized or had received from voluntary hand-ins, 2140 banned firearms, and had another 2988 marked for collection (total 5128)

The two buyback events so far have netted another 766 banned weapons (542 at the first, 224 at the second) so that brings the total to 5894. That's almost 12% of the 50,000 estimated banned weapons out of circulation, with another 256 buyback events to go.

PS: You may have heard a figure of 300,000 banned weapons bandied about. Its wrong

That original figure of 300,000 was mooted because many thought the Ruger 10/22 varmint rifle (being a semi-automatic) was going be included in the ban. There are about 250,000 of those in the country because it is the weapon of choice for farmers, rangers, local authorities and DoC to use for small pest control (rabbits, possums etc). Its .22 cal so the ammunition is cheap. Its also reliable, lightweight (2.3kb - 5lb) and rugged.

Just for clarity, this is from the Police website
    https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/fi...bited-firearms

Prohibited firearms are:

All semi-automatic firearms (including semi-automatic shotguns), but:

• excluding rimfire rifles .22 calibre or less as long as they have a magazine (whether detachable or not) that holds 10 rounds or less; and
    • excluding semi-automatic shotguns that have a non-detachable, tubular magazine that holds 5 rounds or less.

The Ruger 10/22 is chambered for Long Rifle rimfire cartridges, its not banned, so that knocks the 300,000 figure down to 50,000, but people are still Googling and coming up with the incorrect 300,000 figure.

Oh, and since you asked, I don't own any of the firearms on the banned list. I have three guns, a Remington 700 .270 cal centrefire bolt-action hunting rifle, a Beretta 686 over-under shotgun, and a Savage M12 LRP (chambered .243 Winchester) target shooting rifle.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I bet the sale of 5 round shotguns increases. This buy back will be an interesting case study for others to copy or disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post

Oh, and since you asked, I don't own any of the firearms on the banned list. I have three guns, a Remington 700 .270 cal centrefire bolt-action hunting rifle, a Beretta 686 over-under shotgun, and a Savage M12 LRP (chambered .243 Winchester) target shooting rifle.
    I bet the sale of 5 round shotguns increases.

When will they come for yours? and who will be left to speak out against it?

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Last post was meant to look like this;

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It should also be stated that out of NZ's 120 parliamentarians, the vote in favour of the buy back was 119-1. Only NZ's far right wing party objected. (with 1 solitary MP - who is actually in parliament as a gift of the centre right party).

There was and is widespread support for the scheme, which is seen as sensible and moderate by the vast majority of people, including apparently many people who own the offending guns who are rushing to hand them in.

A lot of people (me included) did not realise that NZ had such lax gun laws.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I bet the sale of 5 round shotguns increases.

As I said, mine's a Beretta 686 over-under shotgun.

That means it has two barrels, one above the other. You only get two shots before you have to break it and manually load anther two.

They won't be coming for that.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

sorry, I combined two different thoughts in one post. One about increase in sales of the 5 round shotgun and another about the eventual forthcoming next scheme.

Last post was meant to look like this;

As I said, mine's a Beretta 686 over-under shotgun.

That means it has two barrels, one above the other. You only get two shots before you have to break it and manually load anther two.

They won't be coming for that.
    Yes they won't be coming for it this time around, and probably not in our lifetime. But when they do, who is going to speak against it. My guess is no one or few.

Thread Information