Page 11 of 93 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 930

Thread: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

      
  1. #101

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,096
    Thanks (Received)
    135
    Likes (Received)
    1648

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Life is funny, sometimes these things come back to bite you on the bum. His stupid comments have created some problems for his professional netballer wife Maria. I am for playing the long game, here’s betting that in 5 or 10 years he finds himself in some very embarrassing situation, where LGBT have the last laugh. For a man who already has had problems with alcohol, it’s odd to say publicly drunkards are going to hell.
    Does this count ?
    https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/in...est-tournament

  2. #102

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    17,096
    Thanks (Received)
    135
    Likes (Received)
    1648

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    It won’t be in his contract, it will be in the RA policy documents. This twitter thread gives plenty of detail.
    https://twitter.com/nicksjj/status/1...276525570?s=21
    There is a question about how tightly his contract binds him to the CoC
    He will also, I imagine, argue that his contract is unlawful, unfair it unenforceable ..

  3. #103
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,112
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    296

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    For a man who already has had problems with alcohol, it’s odd to say publicly drunkards are going to hell.
    His point is he's also a sinner, has begged forgiveness, and is trying to be a better man. The controversy is because he includes homosexuals in the groups of people he recommends to do the same.

    Dickie - if QANTAS withhold sponsorship it's most likely because they don't want the brand to be associated with prejudice, rather than an attempt to brainwash anyone.

  4. #104

    Promises to Referee in France
    L'irlandais's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Join Date
    11 May 10
    Posts
    4,253
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    We’re all sinners. What’s his point? The thing is we are not all bigots, he has clearly outdone us on that front.
    Fair play to Mike Checa for spelling it out, regardless of the outcome of the employer vs employee case, IS will never play for the Wallabies ever again.
    It’s a shame that Sarries and RFU failed to spell things out in such a clear manner for their own resident bigot. Hopefully the Munster faithful can stamp that message indelibly on his soul this Saturday.

    Brian Moore doesn’t agree with me on that point ot seems, but hey these days everyone has an opinion.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 18-04-19 at 23:04.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

  5. #105

    Promises to Referee in France
    L'irlandais's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Join Date
    11 May 10
    Posts
    4,253
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Pay attention please! I did mention the poster boy thing as early as post #16.

    I think it might come in the form of his alcoholism, it’s an addiction and stays with one for life.
    Hell fires await him, if he weakens, by his reckoning. Nobody chooses to be an alcoholic, even if they do choose to drink or not.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 18-04-19 at 23:04.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

  6. #106

    Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!
    SimonSmith's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    8,343
    Thanks (Received)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    715

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    that'd be QANTAS and they do it by withholding sponsorship. They have become our self-appointed corporate SJWs.
    Is your argument that there should be no bounds, and therefore no repercussions, to speech? I'm wondering if there are any lines you would draw, or would allow an employer to draw?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

    Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

    Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

  7. #107

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,298
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1276

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Is your argument that there should be no bounds, and therefore no repercussions, to speech? I'm wondering if there are any lines you would draw, or would allow an employer to draw?
    a fair question. This definition below is pretty good:

    ICCPR Article 19 states:
    Everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference.
    Everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice.
    The exercise of the rights provided for in paragraph 2 of this article carries with it special duties and responsibilities. It may therefore be subject to certain restrictions, but these shall only be such as are provided by law and are necessary:
    ( a ) For respect of the rights or reputations of others;
    ( b ) For the protection of national security or of public order (ordre public ), or of public health or morals.
    So specifically lines I would draw include (but not necessarily limited to) speech designed to incite violence or the depiction of minors in pornography.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  8. #108

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,298
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1276

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    Dickie - if QANTAS withhold sponsorship it's most likely because they don't want the brand to be associated with prejudice, rather than an attempt to brainwash anyone.
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...2ab8020a2d0e50
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  9. #109

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,202
    Thanks (Received)
    105
    Likes (Received)
    1435

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    there is an issue that, by RA stating that they will terminate his contract before the CoC hearing, they have not followed a fair & reasonable process.
    If this was his first offence, I might be inclined to agree. However, its not.

    He had his fair and reasonable process 12 months ago when he first spouted his bile. He was warned not to do it again, and he agreed not to do it again, then he did it again, and RA fired him for it. How many warnings and "processes" do you think he should be given.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

  10. #110

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,298
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    1276

    Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    If this was his first offence, I might be inclined to agree. However, its not.

    He had his fair and reasonable process 12 months ago when he first spouted his bile. He was warned not to do it again, and he agreed not to do it again, then he did it again, and RA fired him for it. How many warnings and "processes" do you think he should be given.
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger. This isn't my opinion. It is paraphrasing information I have read. I understand that the player's association may be running this line. And I don't think he's been 'fired' until after next week's tribunal hearing.

    If anything good comes of this it may be that the Waratah's might be off their game this weekend.
    Last edited by Dickie E; 19-04-19 at 06:04.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •