Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Because cherry picking is really ****ing easy. You are either honest to the whole book, or none of it. You can't only be honest to the bits that conform to your personal prejudices ad bigotry.

All in, or all out. Anything else is either intellectually dishonest, or the b-word again.

*sigh* Time for the old standby again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3VHK1NXIBw
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Because cherry picking is really ****ing easy. You are either honest to the whole book, or none of it. You can't only be honest to the bits that conform to your personal prejudices ad bigotry.

All in, or all out. Anything else is either intellectually dishonest, or the b-word again.

*sigh* Time for the old standby again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3VHK1NXIBw
    so you are asking if Israel Folau plays rugby on the Sabbath? I'm not sure. I know many Islanders that don't. But it is a fair question.

But even if Folau is being dishonest or the b-word, it can hardly be described as "hate speech" because if the Bible does contain "hate speech" then the Bible has to be rejected in its totality by Society (all in or all out, remember).

And if the Bible isn't rejected in its totality by Society, then anyone should be free to express any part of it.
    Last edited by Dickie E; 12-05-19 at 00:05.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

well, looks like I cherry picked (possibly an offensive word or phrase, an apology is given in advance, you might want to refrain for its use in sensitive company ) your post to suit my prejudice.

'All in or all out ...." just like rugby lawbook, no need for matteriality. Right?

just for my ignorance, does the b-word rhyme with spigot or dibble?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Exactly!

Timothy 2:12: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent."
    Does Folau believe women cannot be teachers or leaders?

Samuel 15:3: "This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' "
    Does Folau support genocide?

Exodus 22:18: "Do not allow a sorceress to live."
    Does Folau support the murdering of witches?

Psalm 137: "Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."
    Does Folau support infanticide?

Peter 2:18: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.”
    Does Folau support slavery?

Kings 6:28-29: "And the king said unto her, What aileth thee? And she answered, This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son to morrow. So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son...."
    Does Folau support cannibalism?
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Exactly!

Timothy 2:12: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent."
    Does Folau believe women cannot be teachers or leaders?

Samuel 15:3: "This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' "
    Does Folau support genocide?

Exodus 22:18: "Do not allow a sorceress to live."
    Does Folau support the murdering of witches?

Psalm 137: "Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."
    Does Folau support infanticide?

Peter 2:18: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.”
    Does Folau support slavery?

Kings 6:28-29: "And the king said unto her, What aileth thee? And she answered, This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son to morrow. So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son...."
    Does Folau support cannibalism?
    Good catch. Those are from 2018 rewrite. Crossref is keeping a list of the anomalies

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    Good catch. Those are from 2018 rewrite. Crossref is keeping a list of the anomalies
    My mistake. Those are from the 1418 rewrite. I don’t know who has that list.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    so you are asking if Israel Folau plays rugby on the Sabbath? I'm not sure. I know many Islanders that don't. But it is a fair question.

But even if Folau is being dishonest or the b-word, it can hardly be described as "hate speech" because if the Bible does contain "hate speech" then the Bible has to be rejected in its totality by Society (all in or all out, remember).

And if the Bible isn't rejected in its totality by Society, then anyone should be free to express any part of it.
    So your argument is that if I preached in favor of slavery, then that isn't hate speech and should be allowed?

You didn't address the question of cherry picking.
    It seems to me that people use the bible to support their own ends:
    Homosexuality? BAD. Burn in Hell.
    Things I don't care about...working on the sabbath for example? Yeah. Those bits I can ignore.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So your argument is that if I preached in favor of slavery, then that isn't hate speech and should be allowed?

You didn't address the question of cherry picking.
    It seems to me that people use the bible to support their own ends:
    Homosexuality? BAD. Burn in Hell.
    Things I don't care about...working on the sabbath for example? Yeah. Those bits I can ignore.
    Nothing unusual about people selectively picking the parts of a book, study, law etc that support their argument. Doesn't make it right but it's hardly unique to the Bible.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ralia-tribunal

"'God spoke to me'. That was the explanation Israel Folau gave for his second round of inflammatory social media posts when he fronted a Rugby Australia disciplinary hearing."

The explanation of direct communication with God was the first time Folau had offered a rationale for his actions of a month ago, which came after an identical scenario last year and the following 10 months of sensitive negotiations to sign off on a four-year, multi-million dollar deal.

As has been reported, he expressed no remorse, refused to take down the posts and acknowledged he might take the same action again.

Folau is a liability to the game. He has to go.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Nothing unusual about people selectively picking the parts of a book, study, law etc that support their argument. Doesn't make it right but it's hardly unique to the Bible.
    Even rugby law gurus sometimes cherry pick

Thread Information