Thread: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Unbeknownst to yourself, you are probably playing right into the hands of the Russian troll factory (aka the Trolls from Olgino) you take on such people.
    Nah, the Russian IRA bots are easy to spot if you have the nous and a reasonable knowledge of US History and politics. They can sling from a bunch a pre-programmed insults and comments but they can't debate, and they disappear when you try to engage them. The bots are capable of Googling information but they make mistakes that real people don't make.

We caught one out recently, in a discussion about the work of Jackson Pollock. Someone said something to the effect that he had been one of the foremost exponents of his profession and style, and the user who we think turned out to be a bot, insisted that he would have been better if his career had not ended at the age of 26 due to politics. We were puzzled by this, and when we pushed the user on it, the user flounced never to be seen again.

It took me a bit if thinking (and a couple of Google searches) before I figured out the mistake it made... can you?
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 18-06-19 at 10:06.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post

We caught one out recently, in a discussion about the work of Jackson Pollock. Someone said something to the effect that he had been one of the foremost exponents of his profession and style, and the user who we think turned out to be a bot, insisted that he would have been better if his career had not ended at the age of 26 due to politics. We were puzzled by this, and when we pushed the user on it, the user flounced never to be seen again.

It took me a bit if thinking (and a couple of Google searches) before I figured out the mistake it made... can you?
    Well, exponents is a math term, but I found it also could be an advocate or supporter. JP couldn't be much of a supporter to this 26 year old because he was dead long before 26 yr old was born.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In terms of knowing your enemy, don’t confuse Агентство интернет-исследований (Internet Research Agency) with bots. IRA houses over 1000 people in St Petersburg, with hundreds more working remotely. They are paid as little as $100 a month, for up to 100 posts per day. Although it’s a mind bogglingly boring way to make a living, don’t (perhaps I mean never) underestimate the intelligence of your enemies. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt on that front. These trolls argue, they prefer to be called internet provocateurs.
    Internet operators wanted! Job at chic office in Olgino!!! (st. Staraya Derevnia), salary 25960 per month (USD$780 as of 2013). Task: posting comments at profile sites in the Internet, writing thematic posts, blogs, social networks. Reports via screenshots. Individual schedule [...] Payment every week, 1180 per shift (from 8.00 to 16.00, from 10.30 to 18.30, from 14.00 to 22.00). PAYMENTS EVERY WEEK AND FREE MEALS!!! Official job placement or according to contract (at will). Tuition possible."*

*Source:
    Alexandra Garmazhapova (9 September 2013). Где живут тролли. Как работают интернет-провокаторы в Санкт-Петербурге и кто ими заправляет [Where are the trolls: The internet provocateurs in St. Petersburg and who funds them]. Novaya Gazeta (in Russian). Retrieved 12 June 2016. Ukrainian reprint: Де живуть тролі у РФ: як працюють інтернет-провокатори в Санкт-Петербурзі і хто ними заправляє (finance.ua).
    They are not limited to US politics, they are influencing people on all sorts of issues, like not to vaccinate their children. Indeed anything to undermine Western Society, presumably because everyone would be so much better off living under a corrupt regime like they have in the Russian Fédération. Sad unthinking serfs that they are, they spout Russian propaganda or promote groups in the West with similar ideas as their corrupt government. AfD in Germany for example. I have also had run ins with East German trolls working out of South Africa (or perhaps neighbouring Windhoek in Namibia)
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 18-06-19 at 11:06.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The latter were keenly interested in promoting the Yellow vest movement here in France. And the injustice of a state who clamped down on these vandals. I guess local issues in their own part of the world are less important to such individuals. Far from shying away from arguments, you will be quickly mobbed by their colleagues, should you dare expose their lies online.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

If you are effective in combating them pro-Russian trolls try to destroy you . This is a online war, between cultures, not some endless bickering. They are present on Twitter, Facebook etc.

The bots are a sophisticated weapon at the disposal of these trolls.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 18-06-19 at 13:06.
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Like scrum halves

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    Well, exponents is a math term, but I found it also could be an advocate or supporter. JP couldn't be much of a supporter to this 26 year old because he was dead long before 26 yr old was born.
    Paul Pollock only adopted the pseudonym Jackson in 1930, 26 years before his death aged 44. Ian must have been dealing with someone with a poor command of English. Some have a decent command of our language. I personally don’t have all that many words of Russian in my vocabulary, so I wouldn’t be able to troll them in their mother tongue.
    John Henry Newman

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Paul Pollock only adopted the pseudonym Jackson in 1930, 26 years before his death aged 44. Ian must have been dealing with someone with a poor command of English. Some have a decent command of our language. I personally don’t have all that many words of Russian in my vocabulary, so I wouldn’t be able to troll them in their mother tongue.
    No the mistake is even more fundamental than that......it got the wrong Pollock.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Its amusing to know that Ian spends large amounts of time on other forums talking Pollocks

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Its amusing to know that Ian spends large amounts of time on other forums talking Pollocks
    presumably with pillocks
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information