Thread: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nigel Owens on inclusive rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Its amusing to know that Ian spends large amounts of time on other forums talking Pollocks
    On one of the forums, this post would get you a Nomination for the Language Award (for pith)
    (and that's a good thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    presumably with pillocks
    And this post would get you a warning (Ad Hominem attack on the General membership)

BTW, its a skeptics forum; we don't debate with pillocks (such as flat earthers, birthers, Trumpistas, 9/11 Truthers, Illuminati believers, Apollo hoax believers, junk sciencers, anti-vaxxers, JFK/RFK/MLK conspiracy nuts, NWO cranks, climate change deniers, young-earth creationists, science deniers et al)... we debate against them.

These days I come here for some respite from dealing with idiots and The Stupidati, but sometimes, it doesn't work out that way!!
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post

"Alan Jones, a vocal critic of Rugby Australia, this morning labelled Folau “A gentle Polynesian gifted Christian soul” fighting a “critical battle, not for money, but for principal”.

Oops, a Freudian slip?

adjective: principal

1. first in order of importance; main.
    2. denoting an original sum invested or lent.

As I suspected, its all about the money. If is was about principle (the correct spelling) he wouldn't be after $10 million.

Looks like Folau isn't just a bigot, he's money-grubbing bigot.

PS: If Rugby Australia were to crowdfund their defence effort, I would be more likely to contribute to that!
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 21-06-19 at 03:06.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Alan Jones has jumped on the Izzy train only because he hates Rugby Australia.
    Folau’s team making this all about religious persecution. RA’s team need to simply keep the focus on an employee breaching the code of conduct. History will tell you that religious wars rarely have an end.
    Folau is thinking “I want to be a martyr”
    Mrs Folau is thinking “WTF have I done?”
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It's not just about breaching a code of conduct though, is it?

That is no doubt what the legal case will turn on, but all this is really about the nature of the views expressed, and the conflict between religious and secular values

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It's not just about breaching a code of conduct though, is it?
    Yes it is.

It is exactly and only about that, everything else is irrelevant distraction.

I repeat, and I will keep repeating until Folau's apologists take notice. If this was a white guy we were talking about, and he was white supremacist who solemnly, truly and wholeheartedly believed with a religious fervour that his views were valid and correct, and he made a public facing social media post stating that all darkies should go back to where they came from, he would have had his contract ripped up immediately - no second chance.

Folau has been treated more than fairly. He is the engineer of his own downfall.

ETA: A friend posted this on his GoFundMe page

"If you're going to insist on asking people to pay to fix your mess I think you need to explain exactly how this is a better use of their money than feeding the hungry or curing the sick. Having freedoms like you claim to be fighting for is a luxury millions around the world [they] would firmly put after not staving to death. How many mosquito nets could be bought for this money? Is this more important than those people lives? Is that what a good Christian would do? "
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 21-06-19 at 10:06.
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No, the code of conduct is merely the legal peg to hang the case on. Most CoC breaches would be pretty meh, attracting no real interest.

The reason rugby Australia and their sponsors are so uncomfortable and people are so interested in the case isn't about the technicalities of the CoC, it's because he expressed bigoted views, which are contrary to the inclusive values of the secular world in general and the rugby world in particular

I notice your friend (for instance) doesn't mention the CoC at all .. rather he attacks IF's values

And again, with your hypothetical white racist example , you didn't mention the CoC at all, you assert that he would have his contract torn up because of his racist values ..
    Last edited by crossref; 21-06-19 at 11:06.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No, the code of conduct is merely the legal peg to hang the case on.
    No, the CoC breach is why this is all happening.

Most CoC breaches would be pretty meh, attracting no real interest.
    Really. Well standards in the UK must have dropped. In this neck of the woods, CoC breaches are serious, and they get punished.

Zac Guildford, breached CoC for a second time - lost his NZRugby & Super Rugby contract.
    James O'Connor breached CoC twice - goneburger.
    Jesse Ryder breached CoC twice - his NZ Cricket contract terminated.
    Losi Filipo, breached Coc and committed an assault, Wellington Lions contract terminated.

These are just a few examples

The reason rugby Australia and their sponsors are so uncomfortable and people are so interested in the case isn't about the technicalities of the CoC, it's because he expressed bigoted views, which are contrary to the inclusive values of the secular world in general and the rugby world in particular
    Err no. The CoC includes an undertaking by players not to contravene WR Regulations - which will include Regulation 20

I notice your friend (for instance) doesn't mention the CoC at all .. rather he attacks IF's values
    He doesn't attack Folau's values, he questions them!

And again, with your hypothetical white racist example , you didn't mention the CoC at all, you assert that he would have his contract torn up because of his racist values ..
    I repeat, Regulation 20
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think you are having trouble seeing the wood from the trees

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think you are having trouble seeing the wood from the trees
    I see perfectly clearly. I think you are just an apologist for Folau's bigotry
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Thread Information