Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Incorrectly taken penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Yep, especially being in a predominantly rugby league area

Anything above U13 it was always do it right or its a scrum to the other mob - no second chances
    Not sure the RL comment continues to be relevant TC as, sadly, RU scrums especially at showbiz level where feeds into the second row seem to be the norm are becoming as much of a joke as RL ones. So the sanction for an incorrectly taken penalty / free kick is effectively to hand over possession. But that is to divert this thread into another debate.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by timmad View Post
    So the sanction for an incorrectly taken penalty / free kick is effectively to hand over possession. But that is to divert this thread into another debate.
    NO ! because there is no sancton for an incorrectly taken PK.

This is probably for exactly the reason you highlight: being forced to relinquish possession is much too harsh, when it's the other team who just committed the PK offence)

you are inventing a sanction and then complaining that it's too harsh

How do we know there is no sanction ?
    1- no sanction stated in Law 20
    2- no "scrum following incorrectly taken PK" in law 19 (cf - it does by comparison list scrum for incorrectly taken re-start kick..)
    Last edited by crossref; 31-01-20 at 16:01.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Kent
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

(Sort of) Tangentially, I came across a new (to me) Urban Myth last weekend. Blue have a penalty ~8m from Red try line. Prop takes a quick tap penalty and in this case the ball moves a ‘visible distance’ from his hands. In fact, it moves more than a visible distance in that he doesn’t catch it, he doesn’t even touch it. The ball bounces forward off the ground, nicely pops up and he grabs it at the second go. Charges forward, tackled, one quick recycle and Blue score. Cue howls from Red coach and, subsequently, from Red captain that “A tapped penalty can’t bounce!” After less than a nanoseconds’ consideration I stuck with the try. Where I went wrong was trying to explain to Red captain that, conceptually, it was no different than a punted penalty that doesn’t reach touch which did not help him in the slightest and only served to confuse further…..in the end I reverted back to the tried and tested “This is my decision. We can discuss later in the clubhouse”.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post

This is probably for exactly the reason you highlight: being forced to relinquish possession is much too harsh, when it's the other team who just committed the PK offence)

2- no "scrum following incorrectly taken PK" in law 19 (cf - it does by comparison list scrum for incorrectly taken re-start kick..)

• 7 A player must not:
      • (a) Intentionally infringe any law of the game.

He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That would be a PK, which, for a botched tap, would be plain silly

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie View Post
    (Sort of) Tangentially, I came across a new (to me) Urban Myth last weekend. Blue have a penalty ~8m from Red try line. Prop takes a quick tap penalty and in this case the ball moves a ‘visible distance’ from his hands. In fact, it moves more than a visible distance in that he doesn’t catch it, he doesn’t even touch it. The ball bounces forward off the ground, nicely pops up and he grabs it at the second go. Charges forward, tackled, one quick recycle and Blue score. Cue howls from Red coach and, subsequently, from Red captain that “A tapped penalty can’t bounce!” After less than a nanoseconds’ consideration I stuck with the try. Where I went wrong was trying to explain to Red captain that, conceptually, it was no different than a punted penalty that doesn’t reach touch which did not help him in the slightest and only served to confuse further…..in the end I reverted back to the tried and tested “This is my decision. We can discuss later in the clubhouse”.
    Obviously you were quite right
    I wonder if, with some practice, a player could do that deliberately, to take advantage of the confusion it will inevitably cause

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie View Post
    Cue howls from Red coach .
    And to drift off topic, this is where I see a continuing problem in the game. What right does a coach have to howl and hurl abuse or complaints from the sideline? How can we expect players to be disciplined when the example set by their coaches is appalling.

Why do losing coaches rarely shake your hand, never give any positive feedback and only want to focus on the decision you got wrong which harmed their team (ignoring the decisions you got wrong which benefitted their team)?

When they complain at me can I complain their coaching is crap, they are a terrible coach, they've cost me the enjoyment of my afternoon?

And relax......

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    And to drift off topic, this is where I see a continuing problem in the game. What right does a coach have to howl and hurl abuse or complaints from the sideline? How can we expect players to be disciplined when the example set by their coaches is appalling.

Why do losing coaches rarely shake your hand, never give any positive feedback and only want to focus on the decision you got wrong which harmed their team (ignoring the decisions you got wrong which benefitted their team)?

When they complain at me can I complain their coaching is crap, they are a terrible coach, they've cost me the enjoyment of my afternoon?

And relax......
    All of this. In spades!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Obviously you were quite right
    I wonder if, with some practice, a player could do that deliberately, to take advantage of the confusion it will inevitably cause
    frankly if the oppo are that bloody stupid then they deserve to be scored against

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Having read the current issue of the Laws of the game, I realise my view of the sanction (or lack of) is out of date. Sorry.

Thread Information