Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Offence warranting YC the. Try, go back and YC?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Offence warranting YC the. Try, go back and YC?

Bit of advice required.

game yesterday, penalty offence c.15m out, quick tap and an immediate, cynical tackle within 2m of the offence by a player who didnít retreat. Advantage and Iím thinking YC for the offender. Phase or two later team scores before I have to go back for the penalty/YC.

i chose not to YC after the try, but Iím thinking this isnít right. The offence was worthy of a YC and would have had one if the try had not been scored so in hindsight I think I got this wrong.

What do you do (or would do) in a similar situation?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Offence warranting YC the. Try, go back and YC?

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Bit of advice required.

game yesterday, penalty offence c.15m out, quick tap and an immediate, cynical tackle within 2m of the offence by a player who didn’t retreat. Advantage and I’m thinking YC for the offender. Phase or two later team scores before I have to go back for the penalty/YC.

i chose not to YC after the try, but I’m thinking this isn’t right. The offence was worthy of a YC and would have had one if the try had not been scored so in hindsight I think I got this wrong.

What do you do (or would do) in a similar situation?
    I have - on occasion - awarded the try and then also gone back and issued a retrospective YC

But on other occasions not... it all depends.

In your particular game - only you can tell what would have been best - and I think you answered that yourself!

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, as above, sometimes a word in the ear of the player can be sufficient to ram home that it very easily could have been a YC, sometimes the card should be issued, especially if there have been warnings / niggle / you need to set a marker.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I had a word to the player. Game was played hard but generally fair, close game, very little niggle or dissent so I didn’t want to YC unless I had too. Just felt a bit wrong not to YC just because a try was scored.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Simples!

If you thought it a YC offence (taking into account tone of the game etc) then it is a YC whether or not the try is scored. So, if you would YC the offender had there been no try then YC him after the try.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Swiss Rugby Union
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If a player succeeds in denying the opponents a try by means of foul play it is a PT and a YC. I don't see why being unsuccessful in denying the try should make it any better: it's like the offending player played cynically but gets away with it because he sucks at it.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

PT are awarded if foul play denies a likely score. I'm guessing in this instance there were other players who would've been able to make the tackle to stop the try fairly. Therefor no PT. I'm thinking that a word in the ear of the offender and maybe even the captain was enough on this occasion. I'd say that given the match was played generally fairly the right call was made.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    PT are awarded if foul play denies a likely score. I'm guessing in this instance there were other players who would've been able to make the tackle to stop the try fairly. Therefor no PT. I'm thinking that a word in the ear of the offender and maybe even the captain was enough on this occasion. I'd say that given the match was played generally fairly the right call was made.
    Probable not likely.

The point in the OP is that he decided that the offence warranted a Yellow Card and then softened because there was a score. For me that is wrong. Once the bell has rung to say: "That's a card!", what happens next does not alter the issuing of any card~(s).

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Probable not likely.

The point in the OP is that he decided that the offence warranted a Yellow Card and then softened because there was a score. For me that is wrong. Once the bell has rung to say: "That's a card!", what happens next does not alter the issuing of any card~(s).
    probable

/ˈprɒbəb(ə)l/

adjective

• likely to happen or be the case.

Probable and likely are both > 50%.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    True enough but in reality it often doesn't happen that way. 20th phase, 4th advantage for defender offside, attackers score. Unlikely to see a card.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Thread Information