Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Next year's Law Trials

I do believe that the kicking side used to have the throw in during an earlier period in the game's development. Even possibly when I started playing. OB...? Not to the restrictions outlined in the article though.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    I do believe that the kicking side used to have the throw in during an earlier period in the game's development. Even possibly when I started playing. OB...? Not to the restrictions outlined in the article though.
    Slightly before my time, but up to 1880, the first person to touch the ball down after it had crossed the touch line earned the right to throw it back in.

Since then the right has belonged to the opposition, with the exception since 1992 of a PK kicked into touch.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Each one of these as a stand-alone law change can be justified but as ever the devil will be in the wording and law of unintended consequence.

The logic behind the “50-22” makes sense but sounds like it may lead to an increase in catch and drive play which I know isn’t everyone’s favourite form of entertainment.

Lowering the tackle height was abandoned as a trial in the Championship this season because of increased concussion suffered by the tackler. What constitutes shorts level? Is that where the tackler places his shoulder or where his head ends up (ie in the picture of the Wales online article is AWJ legal if he tackles like that?)

Banning 2 man tackles again sounds sensible but in practice may be difficult to implement and referee. In practice it will also be very difficult to judge, for instance if player 1 takes the initial hit from the ball carrier and holds him up so player 2 can tackle him is that a two man tackle or are we only talking about two players physically tackling the ball carrier to the ground? What happens from the base of a ruck with the defence set on their own goal-line – how do guard and bodyguard co-ordinate against a pick and go? None of these is insurmountable but looks like it won’t make the referee’s job any easier.

I remain hopeful that they will still look at sorting out the ruck, either by new laws or even by refereeing the current laws properly but overall not much in these proposed trials alters my view that law changes are almost entirely in response to developments in the professional game and very little to do with grass roots rugby.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder will the 50 22 law include a 'carried back' provision ? I expect so.

I think that 50 22 is going to be hard to manage for a solo ref with inattentive subs acting as TJs

Often I think the ref will not be close enough to the 22m line to make a judgement on close calls, and the TJ will be no help

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

At what point does an attempt to setup a maul become a two man tackle (or vice versa) and you have to start screaming at people to release? Becomes a nightmare, had some experience of this reffing minis under the NROP where you have two, then three man mauls as they progress - it's the most illogical thing to tell people to 'not get involved'

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone a better l.ink to these law trials - wales online is impossible to use with its cludgy set ups and pop ups and block overs and the rest of the shit in it

didds

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone a better l.ink to these law trials - wales online is impossible to use with its cludgy set ups and pop ups and block overs and the rest of the shit in it

WRT 50/22... what "problem" is this designed to overcome? Box kicking duels? And?

didds

didds

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post

didds

- - - Updated - - -

WRT 50/22... what "problem" is this designed to overcome? Box kicking duels? And?

didds

didds
    The article suggests the idea is to put more players in the back field and therefore open up space across the defensive line - fewer big hits as more space to run into....better for player welfare and create more attacking rugby potentially?!?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse1986 View Post
    The article suggests the idea is to put more players in the back field and therefore open up space across the defensive line - fewer big hits as more space to run into....better for player welfare and create more attacking rugby potentially?!?
    But only a trial will tell us what would actually happen

I think it's a bit wierd to create yet another incentive to kick the ball off the field (which is the oddest thing in rugby, I don't think any other game rewards teams so much for kicking the ball out..)

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse1986 View Post

Let's do what they do in cricket then, you must have so many fielders inside / outside the rope, 10m law for offside at any point on the pitch outside the 22 anyone?

Thread Information