Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default "tackler release"

Was the "tackler release" instruction correctly given by the referee here?

Should the player have obeyed it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WnA4ugWl3M

--

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "tackler release"

Yes, correct.

The Whitgift player is holding the ball carrier and the ball - his arms are held, they're wrapped up together. BC gets his knee to ground, then the requirement is to release the BC and the ball.

I believe I understand your point - the defender was going for the ball, not (say) the legs of the BC, but if you look at 37s he's definitely wrapped the BC's arms. Once the knee goes down, tackle made.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

why don supporters shout "tackle him"? Its not as if the players don;t know to do it? It ALWAYS pissed me off as a player and a coach. If the players are shy of tackling (for whatever reason) its not as if shouting "tackle him" is going to suddenly inspire them after all!

didds

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    Yes, correct.

The Whitgift player is holding the ball carrier and the ball - his arms are held, they're wrapped up together. BC gets his knee to ground, then the requirement is to release the BC and the ball.

I believe I understand your point - the defender was going for the ball, not (say) the legs of the BC, but if you look at 37s he's definitely wrapped the BC's arms. Once the knee goes down, tackle made.

But at the point where the "tackler release" instruction comes, each player only has their hands on the ball. The tackle, as such, had ended already.
    One player is effectively being told to concede possession of the ball to the other.
    The instruction determined the outcome of the semi-final, thereby indirectly the Final, and the tournament winner.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As soon as the tackle is made, the other player has a duty to release - the referee only calls it as a courtesy/management tool. The player did the right thing in releasing, as he has to concede the challenge to allow the tackled player to place the ball. He was still free to challenge for the ball after releasing, by rucking the support off the ball.

The defending team having three players around the breakdown, and only two facing three attackers on the far side, could more reasonably be seen as determining the outcome of this phase of play. The referee's call was not controversial IMO.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The call by the referee was good management and was correct based on convention!
    However, as I have pointed out elsewhere, technically a player voluntarily going to ground is not a tackle.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think you’re placing far too much on that one decision - which I don’t think is an unreasonable call.

Perhaps look at how your team could improve (tackling would be a good starting point for training......)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Warren View Post
    Perhaps look at how your team could improve (tackling would be a good starting point for training......)
    maybe a "choke tackle" was the (perfectly legitimate) tactic attempted to be employed, with a view to held up-turn over ball?
    didds

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    The call by the referee was good management and was correct based on convention!
    14.8.a is not a convention ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    However, as I have pointed out elsewhere, technically a player voluntarily going to ground is not a tackle.
    Where is that technical point described in the laws? (It’s far simpler to see there’s a tackle if a player is held and has a knee on the floor, rather than also have to decide who was the subject of “brought to ground”)

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"But at the point where the "tackler release" instruction comes, each player only has their hands on the ball."

Fair point, Colin. This has been discussed before and folks have opined that when grasping the ball that the BC is also in the grasp, therefore a tackle.

I think it's fair to say that if both players are grasping the ball (only the ball) and one gets a knee to the ground then that player is off their feet and should release the ball.

Thread Information