Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 2019 Heineken Champions Cup semi-final : Saracens v Munster

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    The issue with the Munster try was this, Saracens had the put-in to the scrum and wanted the referee to TMO the way the ball came out of that scrum. Seems like a reasonable request.
    There are guidelines to limit what the TMO can be used for - perhaps it didn't come under that?

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You can view it for yourself in the highlights in #07. The scrum is around 1 minute 34 seconds, the try one width of the field and a short 10 seconds later. All I am saying, is he could have been more communicative and reviewing (or even daring to ask) the lead in to a try isn’t undermining his authority.
    Was this adopted after the law trial?
    iv. Where match officials believe an infringement may have occurred leading to a try or in preventing a try providing that the potential infringement has occurred no more than two phases (rucks or mauls) after the potential infringement and before the ball has been grounded in in-goal

The setpiece was in the same phase of play, no breakdowns in play on the run in.
    Perhaps his authoritarian approach hides a lack of confidence in his decisions, but I don’t think so.

WR link to TMO protocol

And although JG likes to anticipate advantage, he must listen to his AR where high tackles are concerned.
    WR directive from October 2018
    Match officials should work together to ensure that foul play is strictly penalised and that player welfare is paramount

So yes, he has some leeway, but he also has to obey WR directives aimed at Match Officials.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 23-04-19 at 12:04.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    There’s chatting and guidance, but what do you do if you have a Captain continually offering his ‘advice’ throughout the game, frequently at inappropriate moments, challenging your decisions etc. As a referee you have to be able to say no, now is not an appropriate time to discuss this or to highlight you don’t want continual guidance and challenge to your decisions.

im all for a open dialogue, I’m usually happy to talk to captains and players, explain decisions etc. But there are limits which I must be allowed to enforce.
    "Skipper - I'm happy to explain. I won't be debated, and I won't be told what you think I missed. We clear?"
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    "Skipper - I'm happy to explain. I won't be debated, and I won't be told what you think I missed. We clear?"
    Agreed and the point I was trying to make - you do not have to engage with the captain if all he is trying to do is tell you what you missed or where you were wrong (in his view).

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I get that squared away front in the PMB. Tends to shut the skipper up. The gobby wee 9 though...
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

JG didnt review the Munster try because the ball was out of the scrum, he was happy that he saw what happened clearly and he didnt need to review it.

Ive had players roar at me that an opponent knocked on in the act of scoring when i was perfectly placed to see exactly what happened, they look for a desired outcome instead of what actually happened.

Captains are entitled to talk to the ref but only at the refs discretion, ive told chatty capts to pick their battles as if they are complaining about every decision then they simply become white noise.
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The Pitch invader (in a Munster jersey) who ran on was plain wrong.
    The Munster supporters booed BV on three occasions, he just beat his chest in reply.

RTE made this remark
    Asked about the controversy after the Munster game, Vunipola said: "It was probably insensitive, but also something I strongly believe in."

RTÉ Sport has asked Saracens if they plan to speak to or take any further action against Vunipola, who had been warned by the English champions that "he made a serious error of judgement in publicly sharing his opinion, which is inconsistent with the values of the Club and contravenes his contractual obligations".
    If the comments contravene his contractual obligations, why the hell has he not been obliged to delete them?
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Thread Information