Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No-tackle. Can offside lines be estabilshed by being over the ball ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No-tackle. Can offside lines be estabilshed by being over the ball ?

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    FWIW - The ball carrier did not get any contact. He was falling to ground and indeed was on the ground when the defender put his hand on him. So, a tackle has not been completed. Hence the question : "How can there be TWOL without the tackle in the first place? "
    That isn't clear from the short clip ..
    But yes agreed . If no tackle then no TWOL

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No-tackle. Can offside lines be estabilshed by being over the ball ?

You can have a ruck without a tackle, right?

A ruck only requires contact with the opposition to be formed. Green made contact with Blue briefly on his way to the ball.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The referee got it wrong. There was no tackle (placing hands on player already on ground does not constitute a tackle), therefore no TWOL. Blue did play the man without the ball (and around his neck) so should be PK to Green.
    Last edited by ChrisR; 24-04-19 at 17:04.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with thepercy that green contacted the blue player on is feet as he approached the ball, so the ref may have considered that green was handling in the ruck?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I watched it live and thought 'play on' . That short video hasn't changed my mind ....

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I watched it live and thought 'play on' . That short video hasn't changed my mind ....
    Agreed. No tackle, so no TWOL, no ruck (placing a hand on does not form a ruck) so no ruck offisde, and regardless of both of these, the ball is beyond the hindmost body part (therefore also away from the tackle area) and free to play.

Now if you do decide we have a TWOL/Ruck and the ball remains in the tackle area/ruck, I agree with the call of offside.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Play on.

No tackle. Black didnt do enough secure the ball.

Looks like a very disconnected game decision.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Let me give it another interpretation, assuming it was not a tackle. The Green player (trying to steel the ball) touched the Blue player recognized as standing over the ball. At the contact, it formed a ruck. Assuming it was a ruck (and the ball possession was not clear or under Blue), the green player could be penalized for hand or off-side (or could be legal as the criteria was a bit subjective).

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mich View Post
    Let me give it another interpretation, assuming it was not a tackle. The Green player (trying to steel the ball) touched the Blue player recognized as standing over the ball.
    he's stood clearly beyond the ball so contact does not form a ruck; there was no tackle, so no TWOL, so I'd be more inclined to penalise Blue as ChrisR noted

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Treadmore View Post
    he's stood clearly beyond the ball so contact does not form a ruck; there was no tackle, so no TWOL, so I'd be more inclined to penalise Blue as ChrisR noted
    Standing over or not may be kinda subjective part in this thread. I will accept your judge as well but this thread started considering he was standing over the ball. :->

BTW, thepercy and Pinkey were the first pointing out that the ruck condition can be considered met.

Thread Information