Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pro 14 Ref chief speaks to Wales on line

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post

Personally I dont buy the biased ref argument, If anything Id say an official would sway against his countries team in order to avoid any semblance of bias which I suppose is a bias in itself ironically.

Its a tricky situation, does it arise in the Premiership with refs from certain regions having their integrity called into question ?
    It's a question of perception not facts.

Taking your regeions of England point, the EPL disbarrs refs from officiating teams within certaind distances from their homes. Why? Because they understand the question of perception.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post

Taking your regeions of England point, the EPL disbarrs refs from officiating teams within certaind distances from their homes. Why? Because they understand the question of perception.
    Yes I regularly referee my local club who are less than 1 mile away from my house with no perceptions of bias. Over time you get to know some of the coaches (and even get on with some!) yet I've never had anyone challenge my impartiality over this.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post

Taking your regeions of England point, the EPL disbarrs refs from officiating teams within certain distances from their homes. Why? Because they understand the question of perception.
    But hasnt Wayne Barnes reffed Gloucester Bristol andBath in the past ? Why is there never an outcry over that yet some get their knickers in a twist in the Pro14 ?

Personally its the last thing that id think of that a Ref might be biased towards his local team
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The problem with supporters’ perception is that it can be wide of the mark. Greg Garner has come in for flak when he was behind the whistle. The French logic being that an anglosaxon was obviously the wrong choice to ref the Munster game, as he clearly was going to be biased.
    Yes it’s true in Munster we do speak English, (but not only) however the common points with somebody from Coventry end there. Except somebody from the South of France may well not get that. The idea of being seen to be impartial is understandable, but where do you draw the line? There simply aren’t enough qualified referees in Italy to ensure no English speaking referees ref. Matches with teams from foreign fields.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 30-04-19 at 20:04.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
    But hasnt Wayne Barnes reffed Gloucester Bristol andBath in the past ? Why is there never an outcry over that yet some get their knickers in a twist in the Pro14 ?

Personally its the last thing that id think of that a Ref might be biased towards his local team
    I would imagine there is a question or two raised but I don't follow the English pro game so cannot support with proof. It would be a great surprise if there was not a reactions given there is one in other sports and areas.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    The problem with supporters’ perception is that it can be wide of the mark. Greg Garner has come in for flak when he was behind the whistle. The French logic being that an anglosaxon was obviously the wrong choice to ref the Munster game, as he clearly was going to be biased.
    Yes it’s true in Munster we do speak English, (but not only) however the common points with somebody from Coventry end there. Except somebody from the South of France may well not get that. The idea of being seen to be impartial is understandable, but where do you draw the line? There simply aren’t enough qualified referees in Italy to ensure no English speaking referees ref. Matches with teams from foreign fields.
    It is wonderful you see the best in them. funny that your posts after certain losses seem full of accusations of referee errors going against"your" sides.

Thread Information