Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Pro 14 Ref chief speaks to Wales on line

      
  1. #11
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,287
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default Re: Pro 14 Ref chief speaks to Wales on line

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post

    Personally I dont buy the biased ref argument, If anything Id say an official would sway against his countries team in order to avoid any semblance of bias which I suppose is a bias in itself ironically.

    Its a tricky situation, does it arise in the Premiership with refs from certain regions having their integrity called into question ?
    It's a question of perception not facts.

    Taking your regeions of England point, the EPL disbarrs refs from officiating teams within certaind distances from their homes. Why? Because they understand the question of perception.

  2. #12

    Referees in Scotland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    20 Dec 17
    Posts
    428
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    93

    Default Re: Pro 14 Ref chief speaks to Wales on line

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    It's a question of perception not facts.

    Taking your regeions of England point, the EPL disbarrs refs from officiating teams within certaind distances from their homes. Why? Because they understand the question of perception.
    Yes I regularly referee my local club who are less than 1 mile away from my house with no perceptions of bias. Over time you get to know some of the coaches (and even get on with some!) yet I've never had anyone challenge my impartiality over this.

  3. #13

    Referees in Ireland
    Shelflife's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU
    Join Date
    22 Sep 12
    Posts
    557
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    98

    Default Re: Pro 14 Ref chief speaks to Wales on line

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    It's a question of perception not facts.

    Taking your regeions of England point, the EPL disbarrs refs from officiating teams within certain distances from their homes. Why? Because they understand the question of perception.
    But hasnt Wayne Barnes reffed Gloucester Bristol andBath in the past ? Why is there never an outcry over that yet some get their knickers in a twist in the Pro14 ?

    Personally its the last thing that id think of that a Ref might be biased towards his local team
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

  4. #14

    Promises to Referee in France
    L'irlandais's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Join Date
    11 May 10
    Posts
    4,254
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default Re: Pro 14 Ref chief speaks to Wales on line

    The problem with supporters’ perception is that it can be wide of the mark. Greg Garner has come in for flak when he was behind the whistle. The French logic being that an anglosaxon was obviously the wrong choice to ref the Munster game, as he clearly was going to be biased.
    Yes it’s true in Munster we do speak English, (but not only) however the common points with somebody from Coventry end there. Except somebody from the South of France may well not get that. The idea of being seen to be impartial is understandable, but where do you draw the line? There simply aren’t enough qualified referees in Italy to ensure no English speaking referees ref. Matches with teams from foreign fields.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 30-04-19 at 20:04.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

  5. #15
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,287
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default Re: Pro 14 Ref chief speaks to Wales on line

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
    But hasnt Wayne Barnes reffed Gloucester Bristol andBath in the past ? Why is there never an outcry over that yet some get their knickers in a twist in the Pro14 ?

    Personally its the last thing that id think of that a Ref might be biased towards his local team
    I would imagine there is a question or two raised but I don't follow the English pro game so cannot support with proof. It would be a great surprise if there was not a reactions given there is one in other sports and areas.

  6. #16
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,287
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default Re: Pro 14 Ref chief speaks to Wales on line

    Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    The problem with supporters’ perception is that it can be wide of the mark. Greg Garner has come in for flak when he was behind the whistle. The French logic being that an anglosaxon was obviously the wrong choice to ref the Munster game, as he clearly was going to be biased.
    Yes it’s true in Munster we do speak English, (but not only) however the common points with somebody from Coventry end there. Except somebody from the South of France may well not get that. The idea of being seen to be impartial is understandable, but where do you draw the line? There simply aren’t enough qualified referees in Italy to ensure no English speaking referees ref. Matches with teams from foreign fields.
    It is wonderful you see the best in them. funny that your posts after certain losses seem full of accusations of referee errors going against"your" sides.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •