Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Spitting on ball.

      
  1. #1
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    640
    Thanks (Received)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    114

    Default Spitting on ball.

    Was TJing today.

    Ball kicked to touch by Black. Time off for Ref to check on an injury in middle of field.
    Ball is on touchline and as I'm hovering around the line of touch I thought I noticed Black hooker spitting on the ball. Just saw it with corner of my eye and wasn't sure exactly what had happened. I decided to keep an eye on the ball as the stoppage continued and a few seconds later the Black hooker is back over the ball spitting down on it again. (Nasty type spitting )

    When the Referee returns to the line of touch to restart the game I call him and describe what I have seen. Having seen nothing of what happened he asked me for my recommendation.

    Before I say what I recommended.... what do others think?

  2. #2
    Rugby Club Member Flish's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    02 Sep 13
    Posts
    697
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    147

    Default Re: Spitting on ball.

    Penalty restart against black on the 15, allow a new ball to come on, strong lecture involving the words ‘rugby values’ and highly consider a yellow card depending on how the game had felt up to that point and the marker you want to set. Disgusting behaviour.

  3. #3

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    16,842
    Thanks (Received)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    1619

    Default Re: Spitting on ball.

    I actually think it deserves a YC

  4. #4
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,070
    Thanks (Received)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    286

    Default Re: Spitting on ball.

    I'd agree.

  5. #5
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    640
    Thanks (Received)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    114

    Default Re: Spitting on ball.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Was TJing today.

    Ball kicked to touch by Black. Time off for Ref to check on an injury in middle of field.
    Ball is on touchline and as I'm hovering around the line of touch I thought I noticed Black hooker spitting on the ball. Just saw it with corner of my eye and wasn't sure exactly what had happened. I decided to keep an eye on the ball as the stoppage continued and a few seconds later the Black hooker is back over the ball spitting down on it again. (Nasty type spitting )

    When the Referee returns to the line of touch to restart the game I call him and describe what I have seen. Having seen nothing of what happened he asked me for my recommendation.

    Before I say what I recommended.... what do others think?

    Well my recommendation to the Ref was yellow. He did consider Red.....his logic was if the player had spit directly at another player it would be red and in this case the 'spitters ' intention was to contaminate the ball which was going to be immediately handled by an opposition player.

    He went with yellow.

  6. #6
    Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    5
    Join Date
    22 Dec 15
    Posts
    224
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    82

    Default Re: Spitting on ball.

    Interesting the ref listened to your recommendation as a TJ (assuming you weren't an independent AR?)
    I think if you were "only" I would have had stern words with #2 and captain, but not sure you could issue a card based on that report from a TJ....

    (see other thread for similar disucssion re abuse)

  7. #7
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    640
    Thanks (Received)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    114

    Default Re: Spitting on ball.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse1986 View Post
    Interesting the ref listened to your recommendation as a TJ (assuming you weren't an independent AR?)
    I think if you were "only" I would have had stern words with #2 and captain, but not sure you could issue a card based on that report from a TJ....

    (see other thread for similar disucssion re abuse)
    I was an officially appointed TJ.
    In IRFUland referees are appointed to domestic games as TJs. We have full rights to flag foul play.

  8. #8
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Join Date
    10 Dec 15
    Posts
    1,756
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    394

    Default Re: Spitting on ball.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    I was an officially appointed TJ.
    In IRFUland referees are appointed to domestic games as TJs. We have full rights to flag foul play.
    Damn you must be good at recruiting referees!

  9. #9
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    640
    Thanks (Received)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    114

    Default Re: Spitting on ball.

    Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    Damn you must be good at recruiting referees!
    Nope.... struggling to get referees to cover games.

    Some high level games have teams of 3 appointed.

  10. #10
    Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    5
    Join Date
    22 Dec 15
    Posts
    224
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    82

    Default Re: Spitting on ball.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    I was an officially appointed TJ.
    In IRFUland referees are appointed to domestic games as TJs. We have full rights to flag foul play.
    In what way are you not an AR then? Interested why you say TJ rather than AR.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •