Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tackle holding on a ball

If the question refers to mini rugby the answer might be different..

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    If the question refers to mini rugby the answer might be different..
    Sure. The question was on the rules for seniors. Mini rules vary for regions - even ripping itself may be prohibited for some countries. Not the case in Japan, though.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think that in 'dual possession', where both players are grasping only the ball, then the player that gets a knee on the ground has taken himself out of the game and must cede the ball.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Happened to me 3 times today in a juniors game, exact moment I called tackle the ball got ripped - played on, not like the players had disobeyed my instruction, or indeed would have been under any obligation to release prior - all a matter of timing really

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    West Midlands
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I had this a few weeks back in a junior game. BC was being ripped and was about to loose the ball so he dropped to one knee. I waited a second to see what happened before calling tackle release, but he let go of the ball. If I had called TR I would of expected both to release.

Not to much difference to some delaying calling maul at this level.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I call tackle promptly so that the BC can place/pass, if he's not supported the defenders can turn over, and the ball gets recycled quickly without any messy wrestling.
    I call maul more slowly because it slows things down and often leads to a scrum anyway, so slows everything down and takes the ball out of play longer.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    I think that in 'dual possession', where both players are grasping only the ball, then the player that gets a knee on the ground has taken himself out of the game and must cede the ball.
    So you would put a not-releasing-the-ball penalty on the ex-BC if he would resist? I believe this has been minority ruling nowadays. hmm...

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Two players, Red and Blue, have equal possession of the ball. Blue puts his knee to the ground.

There are two views of this:

a. A tackle has occurred and the standing player(Red) must release his opponent(Blue).
    b. No 'tackle' has occurred and the player 'off his feet' (Blue) must cede the ball to the standing player (Red)

Pick one. I pick b. Neither player is in the 'grasp' of the other. Blue was not 'brought to ground' by Red.

I understand that trying to determine if players are grasping only the ball may be difficult and so seeing a knee on the ground as a tackle is an easy out. But . . .I think that's a poor choice.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Convention is to pick A

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Two players, Red and Blue, have equal possession of the ball. Blue puts his knee to the ground.

There are two views of this:

a. A tackle has occurred and the standing player(Red) must release his opponent(Blue).
    b. No 'tackle' has occurred and the player 'off his feet' (Blue) must cede the ball to the standing player (Red)

Pick one. I pick b. Neither player is in the 'grasp' of the other. Blue was not 'brought to ground' by Red.

I understand that trying to determine if players are grasping only the ball may be difficult and so seeing a knee on the ground as a tackle is an easy out. But . . .I think that's a poor choice.
    I believe "grasping only on the ball" is conventionally regarded as grasping BC, by interpreting a ball is a part of BC. Also, the first possession of the ball (thus by BC) continues until the ball is released by BC or ripped away, again, conventionally. I agree this could be technically a debating point.

"Brought to ground" forms regardless of players' intention.
    Brought to ground is clearly defined as:

14.2 Being brought to ground means that the ball-carrier is lying, sitting or has at least one knee on the ground or on another player who is on the ground.

regardless of intentions of a ripper nor BC
    , I believe, technically and conventionally. In fact in practice, BCs voluntarily go to ground in many other cases, while opponents, trying to rip or hold up, often have no intent to bring BC to ground.

Thread Information