Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    Coach Colts/ELRA 1&2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shirt Pulling

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    So, if I reach over and pull an opponent toward me, exposing the ball he was protecting, is the ball out, and can my team mates go round and get it?

Must be right

We should see that as a tactic more often ..
    “Reach over” - still liable to sanction if player reached not in ruck.

As a tactic, pulling/pushing often used to disrupt the opponents, slow down distribution, rather than bring the ruck to a successful end

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Treadmore View Post
    The first blue player puts his hands on ground even before Itoje pulls him: not an uncommon event that goes unpenalised but surely the first infringement.

Indeed... a shirt pull to pull him off his feet is merely using gravity to assist his continued passage. ;-)

If players form a strong and stable base over the ball (planes talking off etc) then it will be difficult to just pull them off their feet. If elirt refs didn't allow this bollocks to contuinue maybe the likes of Itoje wouldn't be able to pull them over?

Nothing to see here - move along.

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So, if I reach over and pull an opponent toward me, exposing the ball he was protecting, is the ball out, and can my team mates go round and get it?

Must be right

We should see that as a tactic more often ..
    Well I was doing it twenty years ago down in the weeds (unpenalised) so really nothing new surely?

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Well I was doing it twenty years ago down in the weeds (unpenalised) so really nothing new surely?

didds
    With the intention of exposing the ball, and someone else then running round to take it ?

Cool

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

With the intention of exposing the ball, and someone else then running round to take it ?

Cool
    bascially yes - or at least to disprupt/pressure the scrumhalf to have to clear it earlier than expected depending on the actions of me/my team mates. Exposing the ball to be attacked "from our side" or rucked over. as it would just be left lieing there with a 9 hovering somewhere close.

didds
    Last edited by didds; 4 Days Ago at 11:05.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the defending player pulls the rucker forward out of the ruck then no foul.
    If he pulls him off his feet down over the ball then he collapsing the ruck.
    If he's grabbing a player not yet bound is he a. 'playing a man without the ball' or b. binding him into the ruck? I'll go with a.

Not previously noted but Itoje is standing in an offside position not legally bound in. That should get a whistle.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    If the defending player pulls the rucker forward out of the ruck then no foul.
    If he pulls him off his feet down over the ball then he collapsing the ruck.
    If he's grabbing a player not yet bound is he a. 'playing a man without the ball' or b. binding him into the ruck? I'll go with a.

Not previously noted but Itoje is standing in an offside position not legally bound in. That should get a whistle.
    So is the third man in for blue, with more material effect in protecting the kicker.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me the first offence is actually the blue clear-out player (who lies on the floor), who as previously noted goes straight off his feet (before itoji assists), he then compounds his sins by trying to bring Itoji to ground whilst on the floor and out of the game.

For the rest: I't only looks wrong because the blue players aren't really bound. I'm certainly not going to ping Itoji for that, but might warn them to bind properly next time.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting to see Devon Toner stay on his feet for a change, he must be the largest ruck flopper ever.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Waikato
    Grade
    Colts/lower grade seniors
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see anything to penalise there, either at grassroots or professional level.

We allow players to both players back and roll them sideways in a ruck; in both cases the goal is to make the opposition player lose his footing and go to ground. I see no reason why pulling a player forward should illegal.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Thread Information