Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default First Match

Gents,having recently completed level 1 ref course, I'm going to be taking charge of my first match. Now it's just an internal friendly (Capt v Vice Capt teams). To be honest, I'm kind of bricking it. I don't want to go in all I'm the ref blah blah as it's just a fun match (I've played in it before and it was a big laugh when I played in it). Similarly I don't want to be a back seat ref just blowing for the really, really obvious stuff. But I don't want to be too lax that there are some questionable tackles/play.

Anyone any tips?

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: First Match

I think a bit of nerves is good.

I went into my first match too confident and had an absolute bloody nightmare of a game. A good mate of mine said once "Remember, it's not about you" which I always thought was good advice.

The main pointers I would give you are:

• Find the no-mans-land to stand eg the gap between ruck offside lines - there shouldn't be a player in no-mans-land so you won't get in the way. At the start I was always being hit by the ball, until it was pointed out that I was thinking like a player and not a Ref. This will make more sense when you get hit by the ball.
    • Make sure you know where the marks are for different offences eg LO offences on the 15m line etc. PK for not releasing close to the goal line - 5m out from the goal line etc.
    Last edited by Taff; 5 Days Ago at 11:05.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

IMO (as a player) you've ended up with the worst game for your first match as a "real ref". It will either be a match full of niggle as perceived internal club slights and strifes have an opportunity to be "acted on", or there will be an element of panto going on that "real reffing" will kill and you'll be seen as a killjoy.

If you'd have reffed this match a year ago, how would you have approached it? I'd suggest that may be your answer, and not to take anything from this game as any indication of you as a ref ... ie do not approach it as your first match but rather a a match you have been asked to run around with a whistle in...

didds

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It's going to be hectic, exhausting and you'll make mistakes. It's a friendly though, not a Championship final: stick to your decisions and be firm, you can always have a chat and a laugh after the match.

Don't worry too much about what you miss, getting better as a ref is a lot about missing fewer things but we all do it. Just keep an eye on foul play and don't let that slide - as long as it stays friendly and safe it's a good first match.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A great match on which to break your duck.

Make sure that you are confident in your knowledge of the Laws, especially in respect of what are the consequences of each offence (scrum, free kick, penalty etc). Whatever you decide, be confident in your decision. From decisive use of the whistle to your giving of the signal need to be measured and assured. Remember that the secondary signal (the arm waving thing) is for the benefit of the spectators and the players farthest away from the action so make sure that this is delivered in a slow and deliberate manner.

Before you blow for an offence at the tackle, scrum, line-out, maul etc take a breath because advantage may be possible. On that point, recognise that the Advantage Law is the best in the book as you are the sole judge of fact - play it when and where you can - and recognise what the players are looking to achieve.

Most of all, go out there with a smile and enjoy the experience.

You're only a rookie once.

Good luck.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post

Before you blow for an offence at the tackle, scrum, line-out, maul etc take a breath because advantage may be possible. .

.....and recognise what the players are looking to achieve.

Most of all, go out there with a smile and enjoy the experience.

Good luck.
    Good advice to "take a breath"....better still take two!
    First one to try manage the offence to a point where it becomes unnecessary to blow and second one to give it time to get to a point where it becomes unnecessary to blow!

Welcome to the world of refereeing.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Good luck !

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Tip I liked, if right handed but your whistle in your left, it’s slightly unnatural so you’re slower to bring whistle to lips, buys you time whether you like it or not.

Another top tip, don’t get into conversations, it encourages disagreement with you, say what you saw (and by return the phrase “I didn’t see it” , or “i didn’t see it like that”), are good debate killers and allow you to keep it simple and crack on - Enjoy

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If it's not a safety thing I nearly always say "Advantage X" rather than blowing the whistle. I can always end an advantage, but can't unblow the whistle.

I'm with those who have suggested this isn't a great game to have chosen as a first game... I find reffing own club harder than two unknown teams. I would tend to start pretty strict/striaght, it's only going to be a fun game if you keep the niggles down and it under control.

I also help it finds to remember law 6.5(a), when you decide something happened, then it's no longer an opinion it's fact. State it with the same confidence you would state "the sky is blue". Your confidence/assertion will convey to the players and they'll give you less back-chat.

The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match. The referee must apply the laws of the game fairly in every match.

And good luck!

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mcroker View Post
    If it's not a safety thing I nearly always say "Advantage X" rather than blowing the whistle. I can always end an advantage, but can't unblow the whistle.
    I try to draw a breath before I say or whistle anything. I only call advantage if it looks like there is something there they can use. For example, if the non-offending team moves left, and it's their 3 vs 4 from the offending team, I just blow it up.

I rend to find teams don't like playing just for the sake of playing if they know they won't get anything from it.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information